Açaí bowls are simple. They are essentially a smoothie blended together and garnished with an assortment of delicious toppings. And the best part: they’re super healthy — especially when açaí is involved in the mix. What is Açaí? It is a tiny purple fruit loaded with a nutritious punch. This little super food has more antioxidants than blueberries, raspberries and blackberries and is a staple in the local Amazonian’s diet.

I use Sambazon’s Acai unsweetened puree which can be purchased at almost any health food store or Market of Choice. But if you are craving an açaí bowl and don’t have access to açaí, have no fear, a smoothie bowl will do the trick. Just mix some frozen berries and a banana, add a little spinach if you’re feeling adventurous and doll it up with your favorite toppings. Boom, you’ve got yourself a smoothie bowl sans açaí.

The best part about making your own açaí or smoothie bowl at home is the price. Açaí bowls usually cost about $7-15 dollars depending on the ingredients and for college students, this is usually way outside of our budget. But if you buy your own ingredients, each bowl should cost only $3-5 and you’ll even have enough to make one for a friend. Nothing says “I love you” more than a bowl of blended fruit. Am I right?

Medium

Prep Time: 10
Cook Time: 5
Total Time: 15

Servings: 1

1 pack unsweetened açaí puree
1 cup frozen berries
1 banana (make sure it’s ripe)
1/2 cup liquid (water, juice or milk of choice)
Toppings of choice:

• granola
  • honey
  • berries and other fruit
  • shredded coconut
  • nut butter (almond, peanut, cashew)
  • seeds (chia, sunflower, pumpkin)
  • nuts (shredded almonds, crushed peanuts, cashews)
Açaí

Photo by Makaya Pratt

Directions:

1. Get your toppings ready.

Açaí

Photo by Makaya Pratt

2. Place açaí puree, frozen fruit, half of the banana (use other half as a topping) and liquid (I used almond milk) in a blender, Magic Bullet or food processor.

Açaí

Photo by Makaya Pratt

3. Blend together.

Açaí

Photo by Makaya Pratt

4. Pour into bowl and top it off with your favorite ingredients.

Açaí

Photo by Makaya Pratt

Need more smoothie inspiration? Here are some awesome recipes to get you on the right track.