This past summer, a friend and I decided one day that we were going to try and make macarons, the expensive French dessert that makes dessert lovers go crazy. We bought the ingredients, found a seemingly reliable recipe, and proceeded to try and make them. We spent at least two hours working on these, and followed each step meticulously. We were disappointed to find that once we pulled them out of the oven, they were stuck to our sheets.

We realized after the fact that we needed to use parchment paper, and had used wax paper instead. After this failed attempt, we were more motivated than ever to accomplish this task. The second time around we used the correct paper and have successfully mastered the macarons.

Macarons

• Prep Time:1 hr 30 mins
  • Total Time:1 hr 52 mins
  • Hard

• 3 egg whites
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 cups confectioners sugar
  • 1 cup almond flour
  • salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cream tartar
cake, cream, chocolate, candy, sweet, pastry
Ashley Laurens

Whip the egg whites. Once they get foamy, you have to add the cream of tartar, granulated sugar, and a pinch of salt.

milk, dairy product, egg, flour, tea
    Ashley Laurens

The egg white mixture has to be whipped for at least 8 minutes, until peaks form. This is one of the most important steps. At this point, the food coloring can be added, and add a lot if you want a vibrant color when they're done.

cream, meringue, whipped cream, cake, sweet, milk, chocolate

Sift and mix the dry ingredients. It is incredibly important to sift the dry ingredients, or else the macarons become lumpy and not airy.

flour, egg, water

Combine egg whites and dry ingredients. This should not be over-mixed, the folds have to be counted. It is usually recommended to stay between 60-70 folds.

Fill a piping bag (or ziplock bag) with this mixture and pipe even circles onto parchment paper. Obviously try to have an even number of circles.

cookie
    Ashley Laurens

The macarons now have to rest. Eventually, their tops will get hard and won't be sticky to the touch. After about 30 minutes they are ready for the oven.

Macarons bake for about 20 minutes, any longer and they'll burn. Only one sheet of them can bake at a time as well. Once that time is up, pull them out of the oven and let them rest.

candy, sweet, cookie, chocolate
    Ashley Laurens

Follow the buttercream recipe listed below and fill your macarons.

cream
    Ashley Laurens

Put the sandwich together. It's important to remember though that they are still delicate. You can very easily break them when trying to spread the filling evenly. Try spreading the buttercream or ganache over the entire bottom half by moving the top half in slow circular motions.

Ashley Laurens

Buttercream Filling

• Cook Time:0

• 3 cups confectioners sugar
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 or 2 tablespoons milk

Mix all ingredients together until desired consistency. Pipe or spread icing onto one half.

I have made macarons three times, with two successes. It's rewarding at the end of all that hard work to taste that beauty. Would you be up to the challenge of creating these yourselves? I'd say if you're adventurous, try it out. If not, and you don't have a massive obsession with them, just stick to buying them.