So, you want to take your mac and cheese addiction to the next level? There are plenty of additions you can make to up your game, but maybe you’re a traditionalist who would rather stick to the pasta-and-cheese-sauce formula. Or maybe you just want to be able to eat mac and cheese with your hands without creating a gooey mess. Whatever your motivation, these fritters are sure to fulfill your cheesy desires.
Adapted from Amuse Your Bouche

Easy

Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 5-6 minutes per fritter (total time depends on pan and fritter size)
Total Time: at least 45 minutes

Servings: 4

1 cup uncooked macaroni
1½ tablespoons butter
½ onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced or ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
4 tablespoons flour
½ cup milk
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1 egg, lightly beaten
Oil (any with a medium smoke point, such as canola)

1. Prepare pasta according to package instructions.

_-3

Photo by Hayden Carder

2. As the pasta boils, melt the butter in a saucepan. Add onion and garlic powder and cook over medium-low heat until onion is soft, about 8-10 minutes.

_-2

Photo by Hayden Carder

3. Reduce heat to low and add one tablespoon of flour, stirring constantly for one minute.

_-4

Photo by Hayden Carder

4. Stir in milk.

_-5

Photo by Hayden Carder

5. Once the mixture takes on a thicker, gravy-like quality, stir in the nutmeg, salt, pepper and cheddar cheese.

_-6

Photo by Hayden Carder

6. Once the cheese melts, remove the saucepan from heat and mix in the pasta. Allow mixture to cool for a few minutes.

7. Mix in the remaining flour and egg.

_-7

Photo by Hayden Carder

8. Pour just enough oil into a frying pan to cover the base. Heat on medium-high, allowing a minute or two for the oil to get hot before spooning a dollop of the pasta mixture into the pan and flattening it to desired fritter size. Cook for about 3 minutes – or however long it takes one side to brown. Flip and fry for another 2-3 minutes. Transfer fritter to a paper towel-covered plate and repeat the process to fry the rest of the mixture.

_-8

Photo by Hayden Carder

_-9

Photo by Hayden Carder

More creative macs and fritters:

Macaroni and Cheese Cupcakes

Zucchini-Ricotta Fritters

Baked Mac and Cheese

Pizza Mac and Cheese

Mac and Cheese Pizza