It may seem like we’re just shaking off the last icicles of winter, but here at Dear Old State, we’re already only a week away from our Blue and White Game. And for us, tailgate food is just as important as the rest of our game day preparations.

These ooey, gooey poppers are awesome because you can use leftover mashed potatoes from last night’s dinner and they’ll be just as awesome!

Prep Time: 25-75 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 55-95 minutes

Serves: 10-12

1 1/4 lbs. potatoes or leftover mashed potatoes
3 tbs buttermilk (or just any milk)
1/8 cup sour cream
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tbs butter
1/2 tbs sliced chives
3-4 pieces of bacon, crisply cooked and chopped
1/2 shredded cheddar cheese (substitute with any type of cheese you like, I added mozzarella)
10 3/4 cubes of cheddar cheese
1 roll of biscuit dough (8-10 biscuits, can do more if you cut them in half)
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.

2. If you decide to make your own mashed potatoes, wash them and poke a few holes into them before baking them for 1 hour in the oven (or however it long it takes for them to become soft in the microwave(. This will be the longest part of your prep, if you decide to take this route.

3. Slice potatoes in half and scoop out pulp, then let cool slightly.

potato

Photos by Barb McCool

4. Add buttermilk, sour cream, butter, garlic powder, salt and pepper and mash the potatoes until smooth and creamy.

5. Stir in chives, bacon and shredded cheese until completely mixed.

potato

Photo by Barb McCool

6. Scoop out about 1 1/2 tbs of the mashed potato mixture and wrap it around a cube of cheddar cheese. Repeat this process with the rest of the mixture.

potato

Photo by Barb McCool

7. Put mashed potato balls onto a piece of rolled out biscuit dough and enclose the potato mixture inside of it. Make sure to pinch the dough at the bottom to completely seal the bomb. If you want that lovely golden brown color on the outside, melt some butter and brush it onto your bombs.

potato

Photo by Barb McCool

8. Place the balls seam-side down on a parchment-lined baking pan and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until heated all the way through.

potato

Photo by Barb McCool

These beautifully cheesy bombs are the perfect way to put a new twist on an old favorite. Enjoy!

Like this? We figured. Why don’t you pin it?

lHyZEpSbbk3afFJsJb6mp5lqVYdfATsNVFBfpujEQHo

Recipe courtesy of SpendwithPennies.com.

Love this recipe? Check these out!