Stone fruits, or fruits with a pit in the center, come into season in the beginning of June. These sweet and juicy summer staples will keep you cool even when temperatures rise. Learn how to make the best selections, and enjoy them as a late-afternoon snack or switch it up in the kitchen with mango salsa or a peach galette.

Apricots

Apricots are a high source of fiber, potassium and vitamins. One cup has about a quarter of your daily vitamin C needs. When ripe, apricots should be yellow to deep orange with rosy touches. Avoid any with green coloring. The fruit should yield to gentle pressure and not be too hard or soft.

Nectarines

Grab a nectarine for a boost of potassium. Two small nectarines have slightly more of this essential nutrient than a banana. Look for an evenly colored fruit that you are able to squeeze a little bit with minimal effort. If there is green by the stem or the fruit is too hard, it is not yet ripe.

Mangoes

Mangoes are your summer superfruit, with over 20 vitamins and minerals and only 100 calories. Don’t judge a mango by its color — red does not mean ripe. Just squeeze it to make sure it isn’t too firm or too soft.

Peaches

When you’re picking a perfectly ripe peach, it should have a very fragrant “peachy” scent. An ideal peach should also give a little when you squeeze it. A red skin tone is indicative of variety, not ripeness.

Mango Salsa

Easy

Total Time: 10 minutes

Servings: 4

½ cup onion, chopped
2 tablespoons lemon juice
4 cups mango, diced
2 tablespoons fresh basil or mint, chopped
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil

1 .Whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt and sugar in bowl.
2. Toss together mango, onions and basil or mint with dressing.

Peach Galette

Medium

Total Time: 30 minutes

Servings: 4

1 store-bought pie crust
2 large peaches, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon butter, chilled and cubed
2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
½ teaspoon ground
cinnamon
1 egg

1. Preheat oven to 375˚F.
2. Place pie crust on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
3. Place sliced peaches in neat pile in center, leaving 2-inch border.
4. Mash together sugar, butter and ground cinnamon in small bowl with fingers, and scatter small pieces of mixture over peaches.
5. Fold edges of dough inwards, so that it’s slightly overlapping itself.
6. Whisk egg in small bowl to make egg wash. Brush edges of dough with egg wash.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crust is golden brown.