When I was a freshman at FAU, the cafeteria held a contest – “Submit your best grilled cheese recipe for the chance at winning a grand prize.”

A week later I received a brand new Nook HD, and the cafeteria served up my recipe for a week. There was also a giant (really embarrassing) photo of me stapled to the entrance of the Center Marketplace. I still haven’t lived that part down.

But, the bright side to all of this is that when I tell you I have an award winning grilled cheese recipe, I really do mean award winning. Behold, the only recipe you’ll ever need:

*I will not be held liable for any excessive calories consumed via this sandwich…

Easy

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 4 minutes
Total Time: 9 minutes

Serving Size: 1 sandwich

2 slices sourdough bread
6 tablespoons salted butter
4 slices Brie cheese
1 Granny Smith apple
1 teaspoon each of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg

1. Slice and core your Granny Smith apple. Also, take this prep time to slice your Brie.

Photo By Emily Bloch

2. Put 2 tablespoons of butter in frying pan at medium heat. Toss in the apple slices and slowly stir in your cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Lower heat, cover, and let simmer.

Photo By Emily Bloch

3. Butter one side of each slice of sourdough and place them butter side up in the toaster oven. You should have your oven on the toast setting, just to give your bread some structure. You can also place them in a pan, but I’m a lazy college student who doesn’t want to do dishes, and the apples are in there right now.

4. Once bread is lightly toasted, butter the non-buttered side and assemble your sandwich with the brie and sliced apples, toasted side out.

Photo By Emily Bloch

5. Finish off the sandwich by placing it in the pan, pressing it together, and getting both outside pieces to a light golden brown.

Photo By Emily Bloch