There's an unspoken fear and reputation that French cuisine holds in the culinary world that elevates the demand for pastries that are known for being incredibly difficult and time-consuming to make—such as macarons and profiteroles to name a few.

Today, we'll be making lemon madeleines, which are much simpler and will make you feel accomplished. At Spoon University, we support all attempts in the kitchen—just don't be calling us to help you clean if you try to make macarons because we've all been through that nightmare and refuse to go back.

The madeleine is more humble and forgiving and people will be excited to see these lemon treats for dessert!

Lemon Madeleines

• Prep Time:25 secs
  • Cook Time:10 secs
  • Total Time:35 secs

• 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1/2 stick unsalted butter
  • Powdered sugar
sweet, pastry, cake, chocolate, candy, flour, cookie
Photo by Austin Lai

Combine eggs, granulated sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Use a whisk or handheld mixer to beat eggs for about five minutes until pale and fluffy.

Gif by Austin Lai

Add vanilla and almond extracts to the mixture. Sift in the all-purpose flour with lemon zest and mix on low speed until incorporated. Mix in melted butter.

Gif by Austin Lai

Spray madeleine mold with cooking spray and gently spoon mixture in with a spoon. Bake madeleines for 8-12 minutes until tops are springy to the touch.

Gif by Austin Lai

Let madeleines cool for 10 minutes and dust with powdered sugar (optional). Enjoy!

Gif by Austin Lai