I'm a sucker for homemade pudding, so I put this recipe together using two substitution ingredients to make it totally dairy-free and vegan. Luckily, pudding isn't very hard to turn vegan because it's mostly corn starch, sugar, and cocoa powder. So, this vegan chocolate pudding recipe tastes just as delicious and rich as regular pudding, but without the animal products. 

Even better, you can avoid the preservatives that come with packaged vegan pudding by making this batch fresh at home in 15 minutes or less. It makes up to 18 servings, so you can store it in your fridge and eat it throughout the week. 

Vegan Chocolate Pudding

• 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup corn starch
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 1/2 cups coconut milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips vegan
candy, pudding, coffee, sweet, cream, milk, chocolate
Allison Curley

In a large saucepan, mix sugar, cocoa powder, corn starch, and salt.

flour
    Allison Curley

Turn on the heat to medium and slowly add the coconut milk and vanilla extract.

dairy product, sweet, cream, chocolate
    Allison Curley

Once the liquid is mixed together, add in the chocolate chips and stir constantly for 8-10 minutes until the chips melt and the mixture begins to thicken.

cream, candy, sweet, milk, chocolate
    Allison Curley

While making this pudding recipe, you have to be patient: the mixture will not thicken until the last few minutes. You'll be whisking the liquid and then, suddenly, you have to work harder and harder until it becomes thick like pudding.

When this happens, be sure to lower the heat. After another minute, remove the saucepan from the heat completely. You don't want to over-cook the pudding, especially because this recipe is vegan--nothing needs to be cooked through. Cool the pudding for at least 10 minutes before diving in. 

This is a super quick and easy recipe that'll completely satisfy your sweet tooth with natural rich chocolate flavor. It remains totally dairy-free and vegan with coconut milk, which also adds a hint of extra sweetness. Enjoy and feel great eating this pudding as a vegan or dairy-free foodie.