There is always at least one meal you look forward to when going home. It's one that just brings back nostalgic smells and is the ultimate comfort food. When trying to recreate these recipes away from home, you will probably have to call home 100 times to get it right. Even so, we usually never get it perfect. For me, my comfort recipe is my mom's spaghetti sauce.

"Just Like Mom's" Spaghetti Sauce

• 1 can tomatoes
  • 1 medium yellow onion
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • Spaghetti noodles
spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce, pasta, tomato, sauce, spaghetti
Devon McCarron

First, drain the liquid from the can of tomatoes into your medium sized pot. Then, put the tomatoes onto a cutting board and cut them up into 1 cm cubes. Once they are cut up, you can put them into the pot with the liquid from the can.

vegetable, sweet
    Devon McCarron

Next, take your medium yellow onion, peal the outside skin off of it, cut in half, and plop into the pot with the tomatoes.

condiment, nut, shallot, onion, pasture, garlic, vegetable
    Devon McCarron

For the third step, cut off 1/4 cup of butter and chuck that into your pot on the stove with the tomatoes and onion (more butter, more better).

candy, milk, sweet
    Devon McCarron

Now is the fun part, turn your burner onto medium heat. You're going to want to stir it every so often so that the sauce doesn't burn on the bottom. Let this sit for about 40 minutes to boil the excess liquid off. While the sauce cooks down, boil your noodles in lightly salted water.

vegetable, soup
    Lindsay Knapp

The best step of all, drain your cooked noodles, pour the sauce on top, and enjoy.

carbohydrate, basil, tomato, pasta, sauce, spaghetti
    Devon McCarron

#SpoonTip: You can take the onion out of the sauce for a smoother sauce, but it is not required. I personally like it for flavour and extra texture to the sauce.

Even if your mom has never made this dish for you, you can make this recipe and pretend that you're enjoying this home cooked dinner by my mom.