As a fall enthusiast, I am constantly looking for ways to incorporate more autumn into my existence. I would gladly eat pumpkin 24/7, but sometimes I gotta switch it up. That’s when I look for ways to make my food LOOK like it’s pumpkin. Enter jack o’ lantern stuffed peppers, the perfect Halloween-themed meal.
With their adorable little faces, these stuffed peppers will delight your friends and make party guests think you’re super crafty. Carving the faces may look a little daunting, but it’s actually super simple. Just make sure to use a small, sharp knife and take your time on the smaller details like the teeth. I played it safe and carved a traditional jack o’ lantern smiling face, but you can have fun and use emoji faces as your carving inspiration.
The cheesy quinoa spinach artichoke stuffing is super satisfying and perfect for warming up as the autumn chills start hitting, but you can switch up the insides to whatever suits your taste. Rice, couscous, meat, or alternative veggies would all make great fillers.
Halloween or not, these Jack O’ Lantern Stuffed Peppers make a perfect dinner or a stunning party treat, so get out your knives and get carving!
Spooky Jack O’ Lantern Stuffed Peppers
- Prep Time:20 mins
- Cook Time:42 mins
- Total Time:1 hr 2 mins
- 5 large orange bell peppers
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa thoroughly rinsed and drained
- 2 cup reduced sodium vegetable stock or water
- 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 16 ounce fresh spinach leaves
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 14 ounce can artichoke hearts drained and chopped
- 1 cup freshly grated part skim Mozzarella provolone or similar melty Italian cheese
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt