Icebox cake. It’s a two-ingredient, no-fuss dessert. What makes it even better? There’s no need for an oven, so your already overheated kitchen won’t get any hotter. Now icebox cake shouldn’t be confused with ice cream cake. No icebox cake, at it’s most basic, is a combination of wafer cookies and whipped cream, layered together and then left in the freezer overnight to create the most heavenly dessert for the summer. It’s the perfect combination of cookies and cream and ridiculously easy to personalize. Whether you want flavored whipped cream or plain, store-bought wafer cookies or homemade ones, it’s all up to you! So this summer, cool off with some icebox cakes with all your friends! You’ll be glad you did!

Easy

Active Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours and 10 minutes

1 box thin wafer cookies such as Nabiscos
1 pint heavy cream
3 tablespoons granulated sugar

Optional:
2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon liquor of choice (Kahlua, Baileys, Amaretto, etc.)

1. Prepare your wafer cookies, whether you’re making them from scratch or simply taking them out of the box.

Photo by Mimi Takano

2. Add granulated sugar to the heavy cream and any other flavorings you want.

Photo by Mimi Takano

3. Whip your heavy cream with a electric mixer (or by hand) into soft peaks.

Photo by Mimi Takano

4. Place a layer of wafer cookies in a spring form cake pan, breaking some up to fit the spaces in between.

Photo by Mimi Takano

5. Add a even layer of whipped cream.

Photo by Mimi Takano

6. Repeat both steps 4 and 5 until you run out of cookies and whipped cream. Make sure the last layer is whipped cream.

Photo by Mimi Takano

7. Place in the freezer and allow to firm up, about 3 hours or overnight.

If you don’t have a spring-form pan, you can simply make a log shaped icebox cake by layering wafer cookies and whipped cream (like making sandwiches) and then laying the whole stack on it’s side and covering the entire thing with whipped cream.