It’s that time of the year again when the Girl Scouts come to your door, waving those oh-so-pricey-but-delicious cookies in front of your face. If you have trouble controlling yourself around these dangerously delectable treats, here’s a copycat Samoa oatmeal recipe you can indulge in so you have an excuse to eat the cookie for breakfast.

#SpoonTip: Use vegan caramel and vegan chocolate chips to make this recipe suitable for vegans.

The ingredients used in this recipe are for the most part nutritious. Oatmeal is beneficial in curbing your hunger throughout the day due to beta glucans. Cinnamon is packed with antioxidants as well. Stevia is a better option than other artificial sweeteners because it’s a natural sweetener alternative that won’t raise the blood sugar. Chocolate may even help with lowering cholesterol levels. Coconut can have a healthy dose of protein and fiber. And caramel is the delicious ingredient that just adds to that authentic Samoa cookie taste.

Samoa Oatmeal

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:3 minutes
  • Total Time:8 minutes

• 1/2 cup rolled oatmeal
  • 3/4 cup milk of choice
  • 1/2 to 1 tablespoon stevia, divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon or so of chocolate chips
  • sprinkle of coconut shreds
  • Caramel sauce
  • Chocolate sauce (optional)
Photo by Hana Brannigan

Combine the rolled oats, milk, 1/2 to 1 tablespoon stevia depending on taste, and cinnamon in medium to large microwave-safe bowl.

Photo by Hana Brannigan

Microwave for about 2 minutes. Watch the bowl to make sure the oatmeal doesn’t overflow.

Photo by Hana Brannigan

Stir, and microwave for an additional 30 seconds if needed so most of the liquid is absorbed.

Top with chocolate chips, coconut flakes, caramel sauce, and optional chocolate sauce.

Photo by Hana Brannigan