Following the craze of  Komodo's "Phoritto" (that's a pho burrito, if you have not caught on yet) on my Facebook feed, I decided to take on the challenge of recreating my own version. Growing up in a Cambodian-American family, eating pho was always a staple for breakfast and we would all eat it at least once a week, whether it be at home or at a restaurant. So, when I saw this video appear on my feed, I knew immediately that I had to try this trendy take on pho. 

Being on a college budget and being on college student time, I definitely made some minor adjustments to this "phoritto" recipe. But, by the end of this experience, I can say that I was pleasantly surprised by the results. Nothing that I thought would go wrong really did. The tortilla wasn't soggy from the sauces and soup. The strips of steak weren't difficult to bite through. The tortilla didn't overpower the noodles. I'd call it a success, especially since I went back for seconds... and thirds. 

Phorrito

• 1 pound beef loin New York Strip steak
  • 1 bundle cilantro
  • 1 bundle green onion
  • 1 pack flour tortillas
  • 1 handful thai chili peppers
  • 2 limes
  • 1 quart pho soup base liquid
  • 1 white onion
  • 8 ounces rice noodles
  • Sriracha Sauce
  • Hoisin Sauce
mushroom, pork, chicken
Quynh-Tien Pham

Boil the pho soup base. I used chicken pho soup base but feel free to use the traditional beef pho soup base or a vegetarian soup base. You can even also try making your own soup base from scratch. At the same time, you want to bring a separate pot of water to a boil for the rice noodles.

While the pho soup is heating up, slice your onions, Thai chili peppers, green onion, and cilantro. If you are craving more veggies and a more traditional take on pho, add some bean sprouts and basil.

Quynh-Tien Pham

Once your soup base comes to a boil, place the strips of New York steak in the pot. Cook to preferred level of doneness.

Quynh-Tien Pham

At the same time you can place your rice noodles in the other pot of boiling water. Cook to your preferred level of doneness.

Heat up a pan and place your tortillas inside. Leave heated until browned and crisp.

Gather all your ingredients and start making your burrito! I started off with placing the steak down first on the tortilla, followed by the rice noodles, then the green onion, Thai chili peppers, cilantro, a spoonful of soup, a squeeze of lime juice, and lastly, a drizzle of Sriracha and Hoisin sauce.

bread, vegetable, parsley, pita bread, meat, chicken, tacos, dairy product
    Quynh-Tien Pham

Roll it all up together and, voila, you have your phorrito!

chicken
    Quynh-Tien Pham