Earlier this month, Oreo collaborated with Dunkin' Donuts to debut a mocha-flavored Oreo. Sounds incredible, right? I thought so, so as soon as I saw them in stores, I bought a package. To my great disappointment, the mocha Oreos tasted nothing like coffee. The creme in the middle tasted a tiny bit like chocolate, but for the most part, it was pretty bland. They say if you want something done well, you have to do it yourself, so that's exactly what I did.

I adapted the cookie part of the recipe from the Sugar Hero blog, and the mocha frosting center is an old family recipe. If you're craving a coffee kick, make this mocha Oreos recipe and don't waste your money on the store-bought cookies.

Mocha Oreos

• Prep Time:1 hr 30 mins
  • Total Time:1 hr 48 mins

• 1 3/4 cups flour
  • 1/2 + 1/8 cup unsweetened cocoa powder - divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup room temperature butter - divided
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 2 heaping tablespoons espresso powder
  • Milk as needed
chocolate
Kristen Pizzo

Sift flour, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, and salt in a medium-sized bowl.

bread, egg, milk, wheat, cereal, dough, flour

Cream 3/4 cup of butter and the sugar in a large bowl.

Add the egg to the butter mixture and mix some more.

With the hand mixer on low, add the flour mixture and mix until a dough forms.

chocolate, coffee, cocoa, espresso, milk
    Davi Lennon

Roll out dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, mix together the powdered sugar, 1/4 cup of butter, 1/8 cup cocoa powder, and the espresso powder. Add milk a tablespoon at a time until the mixture reaches a frosting consistency. Taste to see if it needs more cocoa powder. If you want it more chocolatey, add another 1/8 cup. Once perfect, place frosting in the fridge.

goody, sweet, mousse, chocolate cake, cream, cake, chocolate
    Kristen Pizzo

When the dough is firm, preheat the oven to 350°F and cut the dough into shapes. Use a cookie stamp if desired.

Place the shapes onto parchment-lined baking sheets and bake for 9 minutes.
    You will have to do two batches.

cookie, cake, cream, chocolate
    Kristen Pizzo

Let the cookies cool for 5 minutes before placing them on cooling racks.

Spread frosting on one cookie and place another on top to make a sandwich. Repeat for all 24 cookies. Lick the frosting bowl because there will probably be leftovers.

milk chocolate, chocolate
    Kristen Pizzo

These cookies are a coffee lover's dream. If you don't think they are better than the actual mocha Oreos, my name isn't Kristen Pizzo.