When I hear the words “banana bread,” I immediately get taken back to my childhood when I would beg my mom to let me eat banana bread for dinner. Occasionally she would say yes, but most times I wouldn’t be allowed. Now that I’m all grown up, I kind of understand why eating banana bread for dinner was maybe not the brightest idea. I mean this bread is basically butter and sugar so it’s really like cake pretending to be bread.

I thought that adopting a vegan lifestyle meant I would crave kale for breakfast, lunch, and dinner but no, I still want to eat all the carbs and all the sugar. So I had to compromise and that is where this oil free, vegan, and whole foods-based banana bread comes in.

This banana bread is by far the healthiest one you’ll ever make, but is it good? Yes, yes it is. We’ve created this recipe, tested it, and approved it for all to make (and eat). This banana bread is decadent enough to feel like you’re cheating but healthy enough to make you feel good about yourself. It’s rich, warm, indulgent, hearty, sweet, satisfying, and light.

Vegan Banana Bread

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:30 minutes
  • Total Time:40 minutes

• 1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1 tablespoon chia seed gel
  • 2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoon maple syrup
  • 1 1/2 cup mashed banana
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Photo by Denisse Porras

Preheat the oven to 350°F and collect the ingredients.

Photo by Denisse Porras

Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another bowl and once well-combined, add the wet into the dry.

Photo by Denisse Porras

Mix well and pour into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper or sprayed with cooking oil.

Photo by Denisse Porras

Bake for around 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean and eat toppings like nut butters, nuts, or more banana slices.

Photo by Denisse Porras