I spend my free time (which is when I have nothing else I'm motivated to do and I'm lounging on the couch), scrolling through recipes on Pinterest. I had recently gone to the grocery store and bought several healthier food choices for the few upcoming weeks of the new semester.

I came across a cookie recipe that was supposed to be just as sweet as regular, homemade cookies, but without added sugar, eggs or flour. I gave it a try and added a few things that would help keep my sweet tooth at bay, but they are still significantly healthier than typical store-bought cookies.

After I work out, I am ravenously hungry and craving everything I shouldn't be eating while trying to get back into shape. These cookies did wonders at satisfying my craving. They were also easy to take as snacks for later in the day when I would have liked to buy a sugary iced coffee or a pastry from the coffee shop. Here is to keeping the New Year's resolutions we've never been able to keep before (because, come on, food is too good)!

Oatmeal Banana Cookies

• 1 cup old-fashioned oats
  • Pinch salt
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 medium/large bananas
  • 2 tablespoons any chocolate chips
  • Parchment paper
banana
Marisa Williams

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Using a fork, mash the bananas in a medium to large bowl.

rice, vegetable, sauce, spaghetti, risotto, macaroni, pasta
    Marisa Williams

Add the salt, maple syrup, and vanilla and mix well.

dairy product, sauce, meat, rice
    Marisa Williams

Place the oats in a food processor or blender so they are of a finer texture.

grain, oat, wheat, flour, cereal
    Marisa Williams

Slowly mix in the oats until they are evenly distributed throughout the mixture.

oat, oatmeal, sweet, flour, wheat, cereal
    Marisa Williams

Pour in the chocolate chips of your choice and fold them into the mixture (I used dark chocolate because it is the healthier option).

cookie, chocolate, rice, cereal, oatmeal
    Marisa Williams

Use a spoon or your fingers to collect and shape the "dough" into cookie shapes on a cookie pan covered with parchment paper to prevent sticking. Another option is to use foil with non-stick spray. Bake for 12 minutes.

oatmeal cookie, oatmeal, cake, pastry, chocolate, cookie, sweet
    Marisa Williams

When they're done, allow to settle and cool completely before removing them from the pan and enjoying them with a nice, cold glass of milk or cup of coffee.

cookie, oatmeal, chocolate, butter, peanut, peanut butter
    Marisa Williams

#SpoonTip: Oats are a great source of protein without the (in my opinion) nasty taste of protein powder.