Sprinkles have the mysterious ability to add an aura of pizazz to almost any dessert. Whether it’s cupcakes or ice cream, pancakes or oatmeal, sprinkles have found their way into all kinds of recipes, and rightfully so.

They’re beautifully colorful and sugary deliciousness. Instead of running out to the grocery store to pick up some jimmies, think about making your own. You’ll be able to make your own colors and flavors, and at the end of the day, when those sprinkles top off the cake, you’ll feel like you can accomplish anything in the kitchen.

Homemade Sprinkles

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:24 hours
  • Total Time:About 24 hours
  • Servings:About 1 1/2 cups

• 2 cup sifted powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon egg whites
  • 1 tablespoon warm water, plus extra as needed
  • 1/2 teaspoon flavoring (vanilla, almond, lemon)
  • 1 pinch salt
  • Food coloring or food gel
  • Parchment or wax paper
  • Plastic sandwich bags
  • Piping equipment (optional)
  • Scissors
Photo by Amanda Savarese

Gather your ingredients and sift the powdered sugar into a bowl. To avoid clogging your piping bag, it is important that there are no clumps of sugar. If using egg whites from an egg, make sure it is pasteurized.

#SpoonTip: To avoid raw eggs, you can use Just Egg Whites or powdered egg whites instead.

Combine the egg whites and tablespoon warm water in a separate small bowl and whisk until frothy (about 2 minutes).

Add the egg froth, flavoring, and pinch of salt to the bowl of powdered sugar. Begin to combine, adding extra water, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, until the icing mixture is smooth.

Photo by Amanda Savarese

Separate the sugar mixture into different bowls for different colors. Add a couple drops of food coloring or gel and stir with a rubber spatula.

Photo by Amanda Savarese

If you do not have pastry bags or piping equipment, don’t worry. You can use plastic bags and cut a very tiny hole in the corner for piping.

#SpoonTip: Place the bag into a cup to make transferring the icing less messy.

Photo by Amanda Savarese

Lay out parchment or wax paper and begin piping lines of icing. Do not touch the icing for 24 hours to allow the lines to completely harden.

Photo by Amanda Savarese

With a sharp knife, begin to cut the icing into the sprinkle size of your liking. Now make a delicious homemade treat and add your skillfully crafted homemade sprinkles.

Photo by Amanda Savarese