After eating salad for five days, I was definitely in the mood for some dessert. Specifically, truffles. I have a theory that truffles were invented because someone discovered that everything is better when it’s bite-sized and covered in chocolate. They were totally right. A person that loves truffles is definitely a friend of mine.

This recipe originally started out as a hybrid nut butter, a food that has become my latest obsession. Seriously, if you’ve never tried Erwan Heussaff’s nut butter, you are missing out. But when I was testing this recipe, I couldn’t get the texture right. The honey gave the perfect amount of sweetness, but it made the nut butter too sticky.

Then I had a lightbulb moment. As I rolled up the mixture in my hands, I felt like a mad scientist appreciating their newest creation. “That’s it!” I thought to myself, “Nut. Butter. Truffles.” So my friends, let this be a good lesson that great things can come from failures. As the great William Edward Hickson once said, “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try, try again.”

Now, before this turns into a graduation speech about life and success, I’m going to give you the low-down on why these truffles are amazing. Not only are they delicious, they are also dairy-free, gluten-free, refined sugar-free, and full of healthy monounsaturated fatty acids. And for all my plant-based folks out there, you can replace the honey with agave or maple syrup to make these 100% vegan.

Oh. Yeah. I went there.

Nut Butter Truffles

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:20 minutes
  • Total Time:30 minutes
  • Servings:7 to 8 servings

• 1/2 cup pistachios (out of the shell)
  • 1/3 cup raw cashews
  • 1/4 cup raw peanuts
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon honey (can use agave instead to make it vegan)
  • 1/3 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
  • 1 splash almond milk
  • pinch sea salt (for sprinkling)
  • 1 cup hot water, for soaking

In a small bowl, soak the cashews in hot water for five minutes.

#SpoonTip: Rather than wasting your time boiling water, simply put water in microwave safe bowl and heat on high for 1 1/2 minutes.

Photo by Brooke Daly

Drain the cashews and add them to a food processor or high power blender (like a VitaMix) along with pistachios and peanuts. Grind/blend for one minute.

Photo by Brooke Daly

Add honey to food processor and grind for 1 1/2 minutes. If your nuts were not salted, also add a pinch of salt to the mixture.

Photo by Brooke Daly

Now roll the mixture into seven or eight separate truffles. Place these onto a plate.

Photo by Brooke Daly

In a microwave safe bowl add chocolate chips and milk and microwave on high for 20 second intervals, stirring after each, until all of the chocolate is melted.

Photo by Brooke Daly

Coat each of the truffles in chocolate and place back onto the plate. Then freeze them for twenty minutes. After that’s over you can take them out and enjoy!

Photo by Brooke Daly