Eating while away at college is a challenge for many students, especially when you are so used to your mom’s healthy home-cooked meals. I’ve always struggled to find foods that I enjoy at the dining hall, and I don’t have a kitchen where I can cook.

Feeling guilty after eating microwavable macaroni and cheese every night out of convenience, a food I never used to eat at home, I decided to go back to my healthier high school days and try a new alternative: spaghetti squash pasta. And you should too.

It’s just as easy and tastes almost identical as regular pasta. In a blind taste test, I bet you wouldn’t even be able to tell the difference. And even better? You can save the calories for dessert. Eat now. Thank me later.

Microwavable Spaghetti Squash Pasta With Marinara Sauce

• Prep Time:15 minutes
  • Cook Time:15 minutes
  • Total Time:25 minutes

• 1 spaghetti squash
  • 1 jar marinara sauce

Cut spaghetti squash in half and spoon out seeds and inside.

Photo by Emma Delaney

Place one half of the squash in a microwave safe dish face down. Fill the dish with an inch of water.

Photo by Emma Delaney

Microwave for roughly 10-12 minutes or until the squash can be easily pierced with a fork.

Scrape out the squash from the skin using a spoon.

Photo by Emma Delaney

Top with marinara sauce and add desired toppings. Chicken or shellfish will add protein to create a well-balanced meal.

Photo by Emma Delaney