This crunchy sweet Sriracha shrimp recipe is an all-time favorite in my household. My mom would whip this up for us whenever we needed a quick dish to spice up the feasts, and unsurprisingly the simple dish always seemed to take the spotlight. People are always surprised when they find out how easy it is to make once they hear the recipe.

The best part is, all of these ingredients are incredibly cheap – yes, shrimp can be found at a reasonable price in the frozen section. This definitely makes for one of those, I-look-like-I-know-what-I’m-doing-in-the-kitchen-but-it’s-all-bullshit sort of dishes because it looks and tastes like something you would find in a restaurant.

If you aren’t a huge fan of super spicy things, you can always adjust the amount of Sriracha that is used. Just like all recipes, taste the sauce as you go and add what you think is missing; what I am providing you with is merely a guide. Experiment with various toppings such as toasted peanuts or bean sprouts if green onions are not your thing. This recipe allows you to have fun with it because let’s be real, it’ll be delicious no matter what you put on it.

Sweet Sriracha Shrimp Tempura

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:8 minutes
  • Total Time:13 minutes
  • Servings:15-20 servings

• 15-20 shrimp; peeled and deveined
  • 2 tablespoon Sriracha, and extra to drizzle with
  • 2 tablespoon Thai sweet chili sauce
  • 2 tablespoon mayo
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup panko
  • 1 cup flour
  • Chopped green onions, optional

Mix together Sriracha, Thai sweet chili sauce and mayo in a small bowl.

Photo by Natsuko Mazany

Next, dip shrimp into flour. During this, heat the oil at a medium-low heat.

Photo by Natsuko Mazany

Beat egg and then dip the floured shrimp into the egg mixture.

Photo by Natsuko Mazany

Dip the shrimp into panko. Be sure that they are completely covered with the breadcrumbs.

Photo by Natsuko Mazany

Once the oil is ready at 375°F, fry the shrimp until golden brown; this should not take longer than 5 minutes.

Photo by Natsuko Mazany

Last, drizzle sauce then Sriracha on shrimp. Finish up with a sprinkle of chopped green onions. Enjoy!

Photo by Natsuko Mazany