I have always loved a good pumpkin pie. The aromatic smell of cinnamon and cloves and the creamy texture of the pie has never been a disappointment during Thanksgiving.

With lots of research of vegan blogs and inspiration from the buttery crusts of Costco pies (a childhood favorite), I present to you a creamy and rich coconut pumpkin pie with a crust that is good enough to eat alone.

This recipe incorporates the amazing Agar-Agar powder, so although it may take 2+ hours to set, you can use this time to watch TV or do some homework. The wait is so worth it. 

#SpoonTip: Skip steps 1-3 if you want to use a pre-made pie crust.

Coconut Pumpkin Pie

• Cook Time:3 hrs
  • Total Time:3 hrs 10 mins

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup coconut oil solid
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon Agave or other sweetener
  • 4 tablespoon ice water
  • 1 can 15 ounce pumpkin puree
  • 1 can 14 ounce full fat coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup agave or 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 2 teaspoons Agar-Agar powder
  • 3/4 cup water
beer
Photo by Lena Lee

For the crust, preheat your oven to 375°F. In a bowl, mix 2 cups of flour and 1/2 teaspoon of salt together.

rice, milk
    Photo by Lena Lee

Mix in 2/3 cup coconut oil (solid) to the flour mixture with a fork or stand mixer till the texture resembles cookie crumbles.

ice, cream, ice cream, dairy product
    Photo by Lena Lee

Add 1 tablespoon of agave syrup to the mixture and then slowly add 4-5 tablespoons of ice water to form a dough. Roll out the dough to about 14 inches in diameter and form it into pie pan. You may have dough which you can use to make mini pies with the leftover filling. Bake the crust for 30-35 minutes at 375° F. Let it cool for 10-15 minutes.

pie, tart, pumpkin
    Photo by Lena Lee

For the pie filling, whisk in a bowl or blend: 1 can 15 ounce pumpkin puree, 1 can 14 ounce full fat coconut milk, 1/2 cup agave or 3/4 cup sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 3 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice and 2 tablespoons flour. Set this aside to use later.

soup, cream, pumpkin, carrot
    Photo by Lena Lee

In a pot or sauce pan add 3/4 cup of water and 2 teaspoons of Agar-Agar powder. Bring this to a boil and let is simmer for about 2 minutes (it should have a syrup texture). Then add the pie filling to this mixture keeping the pot on medium/high heat and continuously mix the mixture for about 3 minutes.

cream, batter, egg, dairy product, milk
    Photo by Lena Lee

Add as much filling mixture to the crust to your preference of pie-crust ratio, and refrigerate your almost ready pie for about 2-3 hours.

pumpkin, pie, crust, cheesecake
    Photo by Lena Lee

To make your pie a little more coconut-y and to add more texture, sprinkle on some coconut flakes and beautify that pie. Trust me, presentation makes it feel all the more fancy.

pumpkin, chocolate, pie, cake
    Photo by Lena Lee