Valentine’s Day is coming up, and whether you’re celebrating it alone or with someone else, you’re bound to have some kind of chocolate and some kind of booze (wine, anyone?). Combine your love for the two and celebrate V-day (or any day) the right way by making these boozy raspberry chocolate truffles. With red wine, homemade raspberry sauce, and rich chocolate chips, you can’t go wrong.

Boozy Raspberry Chocolate Truffles

• Prep Time:15 minutes
  • Cook Time:10 minutes
  • Total Time:8+ hours
  • Servings:About 20 truffles

• 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 3 tablespoon heavy cream
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon butter
  • 1/2 cup room temperature sweet red wine (see Step 7 for suggestions)
  • 1/2 cup raspberries
  • 2 tablespoon sugar
  • A few tablespoon cocoa powder
Photo by Ethan Cappello

Measure out 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips and place into a heat resistant bowl.

Photo by Ethan Cappello

Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of butter to your chocolate chips.

Photo by Ethan Cappello

In a small saucepan, add 1/2 cup of raspberries and 2 tablespoons of sugar and cook on medium-low heat. Use a wooden spoon to break down the raspberries and mix in the sugar. Once well mixed, turn the heat down to low while you work on the next step.

Photo by Ethan Cappello

In a small pan over medium heat, add 3 tablespoons of heavy cream and wait for it to bubble.

Photo by Ethan Cappello

Once your heavy cream has come to a low boil, quickly pour it on top of your chocolate chips.

Photo by Ethan Cappello

Immediately begin whisking your chocolate chips, butter, and heavy cream together until you have a smooth mixture. The heavy cream should melt the chocolate chips and butter, but if there are still any solid chips, you can pop your bowl into the microwave for thirty seconds.

Photo by Ethan Cappello

Once your chocolate chip mixture is smooth, add in 1/2 cup of your (room temperature) red wine*, followed promptly by your raspberry sauce. Whisk everything together until you have a smooth mixture. The consistency may seem a little strange at first (especially after first pouring in the wine), but should even out with continuous whisking.

*When picking out a wine for this recipe, go for a sweet red wine with notes of berries (bonus points if the bottle specifically mentions raspberries!). If you want to stay within a college budget, Yellow Tail Sweet Red Roo or Barefoot Sweet Red Blend are both good choices for this recipe.

Photo by Ethan Cappello

Once your mixture is smooth, cover your bowl with plastic wrap and allow it to refrigerate overnight so that the mixture can set. The next day, use a teaspoon (or melon baller) to scoop out your truffles. Use the palms of your hands to give your truffles a rounder shape, and then coat them in cocoa powder. Once you’re finished, keep your truffles refrigerated.

Photo by Ethan Cappello