I like hot chocolate just as much as the next chocoholic, but the warm, chocolatey beverages I’ve come across in the States cannot compare to the decadent hot chocolate I tasted in Rome, Italy.

Italian hot chocolate is more of a warm, thick, chocolate pudding, or as my sister described “the inside of a lava cake.” Sounds killer, right? Don’t worry, I won’t leave your mouth watering for much longer.

I worked through the passed-down archive of cookbooks from my two Italian grandmothers and synthesized a formula for the ultimate chocolate-stache-making treat. My family likes to enjoy this recipe for dessert (ideally with a biscotti) and a spoon. Buon appetito!

#SpoonTip: The recipe makes one serving, but it could really be shared between two or three people in smaller glasses (maybe even shot glasses if you’re having a party), depending on how much chocolate you’re hankering for.

Italian Hot Chocolate

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:8 minutes
  • Total Time:13 minutes
  • Servings:1 serving

• 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/2 tablespoon sugar
  • 3/4 cup half and half (or milk)
  • 1 orange

Step 1

Pour half and half (or milk) into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over low heat.

Photo by Carly Zaladonis
Photo by Carly Zaladonis

Step 2

Whisk in sugar once the half and half is simmering (you’ll know it’s simmering when you see small bubbles formed around the edges).

Photo by Carly Zaladonis
Photo by Carly Zaladonis

Step 3

Add chocolate and whisk until thoroughly mixed and smooth.

Photo by Carly Zaladonis
Photo by Carly Zaladonis

Step 4

Pour into mug or cup of choice.

Photo by Carly Zaladonis
Photo by Carly Zaladonis

Step 5

Garnish with orange zest.

Photo by Carly Zaladonis
Photo by Carly Zaladonis