This protein smoothie tastes like a thick, creamy milkshake, but it’s actually good for you and 100 percent vegan. Plus, it might just be the closest you will get to eating ice cream for breakfast (without feeling badly about it).

Filled with fiber, complete protein, potassium, calcium, antioxidants, and healthy fats, this smoothie makes the perfect post-workout treat to replenish and help build strong muscles. It is also sure to satisfy a sweet tooth without any added sugar. The dates provide some sweetness to compliment the cocoa and peanut butter without being overpowering (and you can’t go wrong with an extra boost of fiber).

Did you know that eating one ounce of peanut butter at least five days a week can lower your risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 30 percent ? According to The Journal of the American Medical Association, eating peanuts and peanut butter can reduce your risk of heart disease, too.

So throw a nice heaping spoonful of PB into your smoothie and drink up – it’s for your health, after all. Combined with cocoa powder, you have an added boost of protein, B vitamins, phosphorous, zinc, iron, and more. Cacao actually contains over 300 important nutrients and it tastes like chocolate, so it’s a win-win.

Vegan Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:30 seconds
  • Total Time:5 minutes, 30 seconds

• 1 frozen banana
  • 1 medjool date
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter (can add more to taste)
  • 1 scoop vega vanilla protein smoothie powder
  • 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder

Cut up one large banana into small pieces and freeze overnight.

Photo by Rachel Dyckman

Cut date into small pieces and remove pit.

Photo by Rachel Dyckman

Place chopped date and almond milk in blender and blend on medium-high until smooth.

Photo by Rachel Dyckman

Add frozen banana, peanut butter (I used chunky), protein powder, and cocoa powder.

Photo by Rachel Dyckman

Blend until smooth, pour, and enjoy!

Photo by Rachel Dyckman