By the time the weather starts warming up in the beginning of March, I am dying for some fresh food, especially a good salad. Don’t get me wrong, I love eating a spicy chili on a cold winter’s day and anything carb-loaded, but there is nothing like fresh fruit picked straight from the garden.

Plus, fruits have an abundance of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that will help you stay happy and healthy. One of the first fruits to ripen in spring, strawberries, are my favorite. Their sweet, tart flavor is often used in desserts or smoothies. However, because they are rich in vitamin C, juicy, and have a beautiful color, I also like to put them in salads.

This strawberry salad pairs them with goat cheese and walnuts over a spicy arugula base. Together they create a refreshing flavor sure to break your spring fever.  In addition to strawberries, you could also add other spring fruits and veggies. The best part, is that this can be served as a starter, side, or full meal.

Spring Strawberry Salad

• Prep Time:20 minutes
  • Cook Time:0 minutes
  • Total Time:20 minutes
  • Servings:4 servings

• 4 strawberries
  • 1/4 cup feta cheese
  • 1/3 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/2 onion
  • 2 cup baby arugula
  • 2 cup romaine lettuce
Photo by Keikichi Littleton

Slice strawberries and onions thinly.

#SpoonTip: If you refrigerate the onion before chopping, it will be less likely to make you cry.

Photo by Keikichi Littleton

Combine (washed) arugula and lettuce in a bowl.

Photo by Keikichi Littleton

Top the lettuce with walnuts, onion, dried cranberries and feta (set aside the sliced strawberries for later.)

Photo by Keikichi Littleton

Toss the salad with your favorite balsamic vinaigrette (I recommend using a lime/lemon based dressing.)

Photo by Keikichi Littleton

Plate and garnish each salad with one sliced strawberry then serve immediately.

Photo by Keikichi Littleton