November = pumpkin heaven. There’s no escaping it. And you have two choices: turn down or gulp down all the pumpkin treats lurching around every corner. You’re either perpetually unhappy saying no or packing on the pounds saying yes.

What to do?

Here’s what. Make this pumpkin loaf. Bring it to your floor’s potluck and your major organization’s next meeting. Make it as a treat for yourself in your own apartment. Eat it every single day you feel like tis fall.

It’s full of clean ingredients, complex carbs from the pumpkin and whole grain, and healthy fats from the olive oil and nuts. It’s vegan-friendly and can be made gluten-free by subbing the flour for a gluten-free mix. Yes, you know how to please the masses.

This is not permission to eat the whole loaf, moderation still exists. But no post-treat comma here.

Yes, you can have your cake (pumpkin loaf) and eat it too.

For 1/12th of the loaf: Cal 226 Fat 11g (0g trans fat and 2g sat fat) Carbs 29g Protein 5g

Pumpkin Loaf

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:1 hour
  • Total Time:1 hour 10 minutes

• 1/4 cup soy or nut milk
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 can pumpkin puree
  • 2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon clove
  • 1 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts, pepita, sunflower seeds, or any mixture of nuts or seeds you want
  • 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips, optional but delicious

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray or grease a loaf pan.

Combine the milk, oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and pumpkin in a blender and blend until smooth.

Combine the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl.

Pour the mixture from the blender into this bowl and combine using as few strokes as possible.

Pour batter into a loaf pan, smooth the top, and place in the oven for about 1 hour. When the loaf is done, a toothpick will come out of the loaf clean. Transfer to a plate to cool.

Enjoy your masterpiece.