When I arrived at Lee, one of WashU's old school, riot-proof dorms that I now call home, the first things I looked for were roof access and the kitchen. At first, I was unimpressed by both. The roof was locked tight and the kitchen seemed like little more than a small counter, an oven and some cabinets filled with mismatched dishes.

Despite the underwhelming dorm kitchen, I really wanted to bake. So when my parents sent me a muffin tin and lemon poppyseed muffin mix (my favorite—they know me so well), I saw it as a sign to go for it. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? Maybe I burn down the building? Small price to pay for some quality muffins.

When I actually made them in my dorm, the process was easy and the muffins turned out beautifully (and no fires were started—bonus!). I've been making lemon poppyseed muffins for as long as I can remember, and they're so underrated. So I hope you enjoy this recipe (even if you're baking in a subpar kitchen).

Lemon Poppyseed Muffins

• 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 2/3 cup plain or vanilla greek yogurt
  • Fleischmann's Simply Homemade Lemon Poppyseed Muffin Mix
cookie, sweet, cake, pastry, chocolate, bread, muffin
Tiffany Gao

Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line 12 standard-size muffin cups with paper liners or spray with cooking spray. (If you don't feel like getting liners or spray, you can also just use butter.) Set aside.

egg, sweet, muffin, cake
    Tiffany Gao

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl with a spoon. Stir until mixture forms a batter, about 50-60 strokes.

#SpoonTip: Wanna be fancy? Try one of these add-ins: 1/3 cup sliced almonds, 1/2-1 cup blueberries or raspberries (fresh or frozen), or 1-2 teaspoon vanilla and/or almond extract.

cream, vegetable, hummus
    Tiffany Gao

Spoon batter evenly between prepared muffin cups, filling each about 2/3 of the way full.

pie, chocolate
    Tiffany Gao

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a wooden pick (or a fork or anything you can gently stab the muffins with) comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!

sweet, pastry, cookie, cake, muffin, chocolate
    Tiffany Gao

Now the hardest part: you have to decide whether you want to share these babies with your floor or keep them all for yourself (no shame).