If you have never tasted challah, you need to reevaluate your life choices. The moist and tasty egg bread is always present at every Jewish holiday or gathering, and can be made a variety of different ways.

Whether it is stuffed with nuts, swimming with raisins, or swirled with chocolate, no one can deny that challah is the best bread to use for french toast. Its density perfectly soaks up a french toast egg wash, and its soft inside and slightly crunchy outside will never leave you hungry, but will always leave you wanting more.

Challah French Toast

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:5 minutes
  • Total Time:10 minutes

• 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup cinnamon sugar
  • 4 thick slices of challah
  • 2-3 tablespoon butter
  • Toppings of your choice
Photo by Sara Kresloff

Crack eggs into a shallow dish, and whisk together with vanilla, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and milk.

Photo by Sara Kresloff

Slice bread and place in egg mixture, covering both sides completely.

Photo by Sara Kresloff

Add 1 tablespoon butter to a frying pan and melt over medium heat.

Photo by Sara Kresloff

Place 2 pieces of the bread in the pan, flipping after a few minutes or until bottom side is golden brown.

Photo by Sara Kresloff

Cook second side until golden brown.

Photo by Sara Kresloff

When bread is done, take out of pan and immediately put onto a plate of cinnamon sugar, shaking plate to ensure even coverage. Repeat for both sides and both pieces.

Garnish with toppings of your choice.

#SpoonTip: Depending on how much cinnamon you dip your challah in, syrup may make it too sweet. Make sure to try your dish first before coating it in syrup.

Photo by Sara Kresloff

Enjoy!

Photo by Sara Kresloff