Is spring break really over for you? If your workload isn’t piling up yet and you want to have some post spring break fun, why don’t you try out this simple spring roll recipe with your own choice of ingredients. Common fillings include bean sprouts, threads of pork, mushrooms and shrimp, but you can really fill spring rolls with almost anything. Just make sure each ingredient is cut into thin threads so the spring rolls can be rolled tightly, giving them a great consistency.

Advanced Course

Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes

Servings: 15 spring rolls

Homemade Spring Rolls

Photo by Jessica Chu

1 pack of spring roll wraps
1 pound bean sprout
5 mushrooms
1 carrot
4 ounces lean pork or your choice of protein
Vegetable oil for frying
Pinch of salt and pepper

1. Cut the filling ingredients into thin strips.

Homemade Spring Rolls

Photo by Jessica Chu

2. Heat about a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large skillet.
3. Over medium-high heat, cook the filling ingredients, stirring frequently, until cooked through.

Homemade Spring Rolls

Photo by Jessica Chu

Homemade Spring Rolls

Photo by Jessica Chu

Homemade Spring Rolls

Photo by Jessica Chu

4. Season the filling to taste with salt and pepper.

Homemade Spring Rolls

Photo by Jessica Chu

5. Remove the filling ingredients from heat and set aside to cool.Photo by Jessica Chu

Photo by Jessica Chu

6. Once the filling is cool, arrange a small portion diagonally in between the middle of the wrapper and one corner, as shown in the photo. You will be making about 15 spring rolls, so divide accordingly!

Homemade Spring Rolls

Photo by Jessica Chu

7. Roll the wrap over the ingredients to secure the filling.

Homemade Spring Rolls

Photo by Jessica Chu

8. Fold the left and right side of the wrap into the filling and continue to roll the wrapper to the top corner.

Homemade Spring Rolls

Photo by Jessica Chu

10. Dab a bit of water to the tip of the corner to prevent the roll from spilling open when it is fried.

Homemade Spring Rolls

Photo by Jessica Chu

11. Heat a pot of oil until bubbles appear. Make sure you have enough oil that will cover the entire spring roll.
12. Deep fry the spring rolls in medium-high heat until golden. Depending how big your pot is, you can deep fry a few at a time.

Homemade Spring Rolls

Photo by Jessica Chu

Homemade Spring Rolls

Photo by Jessica Chu

13. Once fried, place spring rolls on a paper towel-lined plate to soak up any excess oil.

Homemade Spring Rolls

Photo by Jessica Chu

More good stuff here: