I have two loves in this lifetime, excluding Ben & Jerry's, and they would be chocolate and coffee. Insert the Brooklyn Brownout Cake. The cake is truly a chocolate lover's fantasy, it's from my favorite bakery in Brooklyn, Sweet Melissa's Patisserie.

Not only is this dessert decadent and delicious, but as a sleep deprived college student, it also satisfies my caffeine cravings. The Brooklyn Brownout cake marries chocolate and coffee in it's layers of spongy chocolate-espresso cake, rich chocolate ganache frosting, and chocolate walnut brownie crumbles. 

I ended up with some extra brownie crumbles and chocolate ganache (damn the bad luck) , so I molded them into balls, dunked 'em in the ganache, and topped with powdered sugar. Ta-da! Little bites of chocolate heaven. 

chocolate, brownie
Cayley Crutchfield

If you're like me, you'll crave this dessert from miles away. Here's a recipe to help satisfy your cavings and bring Brooklyn to your very own kitchen.

Brooklyn Brownout Cake

• 4 ounce unsweetened chocolate coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil or canola oil
  • 2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup + 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup hot strong brewed coffee
chocolate, sweet, cream, milk, coffee, cake, candy
Jacques Torres Instagram

Before you start, position a rack in the center of your oven and preheat to 350°F. Butter and flour two 7 x 2-inch round cake pans. Line each with a 7-inch round of parchment paper.

In the top of a double boiler set over simmering water, melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally. When the chocolate is completely melted, whisk in the vegetable oil until smooth. Remove from the heat but keep warm over the water.

In the bowl of an electric mixer combine the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt, and mix well.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream and eggs until smooth.

Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix until combined. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the melted chocolate mixture and mix until combined. Add the hot coffee in a stream, and mix until combined. (Again, scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.) The batter will be loose.

Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake pans. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool in the pans for 25 minutes before turning out the layers onto a cooling rack.

To create the silky ganache, melt and mix 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, 1 cup heavy cream and 2 tablespoons light corn syrup. Let cool before using.

Trim the tops of the cake layers so that they're even. Break the cake trimmings into little chunks and place in a medium bowl. Place one of the cake layers cut side up on a wire rack and over a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.

Break the brownies into little chunks and combine the brownie pieces with the cake scraps. Pour half the chocolate ganache over the pieces and stir gently with your fingers to coat well. Voila! Brownie crumble.

Place one of the cake layers on a wire rack set over a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Layer about 1/3 of the brownie crumble over the top cake layer.

Place the remaining cake layer upside down on the other cake and press down gently with your hands.

Pour the remaining chocolate ganache over the assembled cake. Let it drip over the sides of the cake. (Uh-huh.) Spread the frosting with the spatula along the sides to seal in the chocolatey goodness.

For the Brownie Crumbleoptional:4 Flourless Fudge Brownies Although this crumble is optional try to resist all eating all them and save a few for toppings... It's worth it I promise. 1/4 cup walnut pieces