Who doesn't love a good bagel? Probably only miserable people. But we all know that bagels are not exactly the healthiest thing to eat on a regular basis. But not to worry, this breakfast bagel recipe gives you the yummy shell of the bagel without all the calories of the dough. Any type of bagel will do, but to maximize nutritional value, look for whole grain bagels.

It's like a breakfast sandwich, but even MORE fun. The add-ins are endless for creating an egg bagel boat—they just should be chopped finely enough to fit in the shell of a bagel. Egg whites can also be substituted. It's a quick way to make a gourmet-looking meal. Here is my favorite combination of easy ingredients you probably have in your refrigerator right now.

Egg Bagel Boat

• 1 bagel
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
  • 1/4 cup mozzarella
  • 1/4 cup chopped ham
  • a pinch salt
  • a pinch pepper
Emma Henzes

Preheat oven or toaster oven to 425º F. Cut the bagel in half. Using a knife, cut the outer and inner edges of the bagel. Then scoop out of the dough with your fingers. Be careful not to put any holes in the shell. The bottom half of a bagel works best to hold the egg mixture.

bread, sweet, dough, bagel, pastry, flour, doughnut, wheat
    Emma Henzes

Crack and beat the eggs in a bowl. Add in mixture of bell peppers, mozzerella, ham, salt and pepper.

spinach
    Emma Henzes

Put the bagel shell on a baking sheet and gently pour the mixture into the shell.

tomato, ham, cheese
    Emma Henzes

Place in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until the shell is toasted and the egg is safely cooked.

tomato, cheese, vegetable, onion
    Emma Henzes

As you can see, it's a quick recipe that can be made on the fly. You can even prep for it the night before by chopping all the add-ins and scooping out the bagel. Plus, once the egg is baked into the bagel, you don't even need a plate because everything is securely tucked in the hollowed-out bagel boat. This dish hits all the nutrients you need for breakfast in one swoop without going overboard on all the carbs a bagel normally has.