With the holidays coming up, it’s easy to feel stressed out about all the gifts you have to prepare, seek out, buy, and wrap. And sometimes, with finals looming over your head, the last thing you want to worry about is spending two hours at the mall trying to pinpoint exactly what to get for each of your friends. After all, your friends and family all have different tastes and interests, so it wouldn’t make sense to lump them all together and get them the exact same thing.

Easy

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Dried fruit, chocolate chips, chopped nuts (optional)

1 jar with a lid
Ribbons, cardstock (optional)

Directions:

Cookies in a Jar

Photo by Jenny Shen

1. Wash and dry the jar to prepare
2. Measure out flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Pour into jar.
3. Measure out cinnamon and brown sugar. Pour into jar.
4. Pour in a layer of dried fruit, if desired.
5. Measure out rolled oats. Pour into jar.
6. Measure out chocolate chips, if desired.
7. Measure out granulated sugar. Pour into jar.

Cookies in a Jar

Photo by Jenny Shen

Honestly, you can choose to layer the ingredients however you like! It’s good to alternate the different colors of your ingredients to make it more aesthetically appealing, though.

On a piece of cardstock, write out these instructions:

Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a cookie tray. Pour jar contents into a mixing bowl. Add in 1/2 cup of softened butter or margarine, 1 large egg, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Mix thoroughly to form dough. Create 1 inch balls and place on cookie sheet. Bake 12 minutes or until golden brown at the edges.

Then, decorate with ribbon around the neck of the jar to add a touch of holiday cheer!