We all love carbs, especially breakfast carbs. Oatmeal, toast, bagels, pizza (don’t pretend you don’t eat it in the morning) and let’s not deny the true queen of breakfast carbs: muffins. Everyone loves a good muffin, but nobody wants to deal with the muffin top that comes with eating one too many.

This recipe debunks the popular myth that “muffins are bad for you” and allows you to enjoy a perfectly moist and flavorful muffin. Not only is this recipe completely healthy and wholesome, but it also entails the easiest clean up. You basically throw everything in a bowl, mix it up and enjoy.

These banana oatmeal muffins are the perfect grab and go snack that you can make ahead of time. Feel free to substitute whole wheat flour for oat flour and honey for maple syrup. If you ran out of baking soda like I did, baking powder works as well – but baking soda is better. Carb-e diem to all.

#SpoonTip: Best enjoyed topped off with some almond butter, sun butter, wow butter, cookie butter…any butter. Get creative with it and dig in.

One-Bowl Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins

• Prep Time:15 minutes
  • Cook Time:25-30 minutes
  • Total Time:40-45 minutes
  • Servings:12 muffins

• 1 tablespoon non-stick oil spray
  • 2 ripe bananas
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 cup oats
  • 2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup greek yogurt
  • 2 tablespoon honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Photo by Natalie Tay
Photo by Natalie Tay

Step 1

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Step 2

Mash bananas well and put into large mixing bowl.

#SpoonTip: Mash bananas with the back of a fork in the peel.

Photo by Natalie Tay
Photo by Natalie Tay

Step 3

Add whole wheat flour, oats, cinnamon, baking powder, eggs, greek yogurt, honey and vanilla extract to your large mixing bowl.

#SpoonTip: Add another 1/2 to 1 full tablespoon of honey if you like your muffins sweet or if your bananas were not very ripe.

Photo by Natalie Tay
Photo by Natalie Tay

Step 4

Beat well until ingredients are combined.

Photo by Natalie Tay
Photo by Natalie Tay

Step 5

Spray your muffin tin with non-stick spray oil or use silicone muffin cups for easy removal, as shown here.

Photo by Natalie Tay
Photo by Natalie Tay

Step 6

Fill muffin tin 3/4 of the way with batter. Or go crazy and fill them to the top.

Photo by Natalie Tay
Photo by Natalie Tay

Step 7

Bake for 25-30 minutes. Muffins are ready when a toothpick comes out clean when stuck into the centre.

Step 8

Let cool or enjoy immediately.

#SpoonTip: Muffins can be stored in air-tight containers for up to a week or frozen for up to three months.

Photo by Natalie Tay
Photo by Natalie Tay