There’s probably a 99.9% chance that my family Christmas meal will have honey-baked ham on the menu. And what meal is complete without rolls or bread of some kind? Assuming you have leftovers from your Christmas dinner, they can be put to good use with this ham strata recipe. This casserole-style breakfast dish is savory and sweet, and pairs well with some cranberry juice and champagne.

I came across this recipe when taking a cooking class at my local Whole Foods store (more on that to come later), and immediately decided I would add this to my breakfast arsenal. It’s so easy, and can be modified based on what you are working with in the fridge and pantry. Substitute those dinner rolls for the panettone, or some regular ol’ deli ham for the honey-baked. It’s totally up for interpretation, which makes it a perfect dish to make in the days following Christmas.

Holiday Ham Strata

• Total Time:1 hr

• 8oz Cranberry Panettone an Italian fruit bread but raisin bread or leftover dinner rolls will do just fine
  • 1 cup leftover ham
  • I cup shredded gruyere
  • 2 shallots minced don’t let them brown
  • 2-3 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 tablespoon EVOO
  • 8 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 large pinch nutmeg
  • 1 sprig rosemary minced
  • 1 cup dried cranberries to plump: add to bowl with a little water and microwave 30 sec
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Sweat shallots in a medium sauté pan over medium-low heat in the oil. Once the shallots are translucent, add garlic and cook until just fragrant, a couple minutes.

Preheat oven to 325°. Spray 9x13 backing dish with nonstick spray, spread bread/panettone, ham, gruyere, cooked shallots and garlic, and cranberries in an even layer.

#SpoonTip: For individual portions, the strata can be cooked using ramekins or muffin tins, and I actually prefer to use muffin tins because it provides a more even cook.

In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, nutmeg, salt & pepper, and rosemary. Pour the egg mixture over the panettone. Bake in the oven until custard has set (about 30 minutes, but if you’re using muffin tins, reduce cook time to 20 minutes, or until custard has set).