Most people think cooking as a college student sucks. You might not have access to a fully-functioning kitchen, you’re short on time, you don’t know what you’re doing, or all the above. So many excuses.

We wanted to prove that you can hack a legit meal together with just a few ingredients, in full college swagger. So we teamed up with our friends at Blue Apron to challenge the idea that college kids can’t cook.

In our makeshift office “kitchen,” we transformed their chicken pot pie recipe into savory chicken and waffles, which feels a bit more college-y, and isn’t too bad as a late-night snack either.

blue apron

Photo courtesy of Blue Apron

Most importantly though, there’s no full kitchen required. All you need is a toaster oven, waffle iron, single burner and a little creativity. BOOM.

Blue Apron is extending a special discount to Spoon readers so you can hack your own box. Click here to try Blue Apron and get your first two meals free. #winning

Chicken & Sage Biscuit Pot Pie: Hacked into Savory Chicken & Waffles

• Prep Time:15 minutes
  • Cook Time:45 minutes
  • Total Time:1 hour

• 1 skinless chicken breast
  • 1 cup buttermilk biscuit mix
  • 1 oz white mushrooms
  • 1 carrot
  • 1 stalk celery
  • 1/2 lb purple top turnips
  • 1 pinch sage
  • 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoon chicken demi-glace
  • 1 tablespoon crème fraîche
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Olive oil
Photo by Max Bartick

Finely chop mushrooms, celery and sage.

Photo by Max Bartick

On an olive oil coated pan, cook celery and mushrooms down until cooked, about 5 minutes.

Photo by Max Bartick

Add a dollop of crème fraiche and a touch of salt and pepper. Mix together.

Photo by Max Bartick

Chop turnips and carrots into cubes.

Photo by Max Bartick

Season with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in the toaster oven at 400°F for 20 minutes.

Photo by Max Bartick

Slice breasts of chicken into strips and coat in flour.

Photo by Max Bartick

Take vegetables out of the oven, move veggies to one side of the pan. On the empty side, spray with cooking oil and place strips of chicken. Put back in the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes at 400°F until cooked.

Photo by Max Bartick

While the chicken is baking, mix biscuit dough with water until it just comes together.

Add the cooked mushrooms, celery and sage to the biscuit dough and mix until fully incorporated.

Photo by Max Bartick

Spray your heated waffle iron with cooking spray and place biscuit dough in the iron. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.

Photo by Max Bartick

Heat chicken demi-glace in the microwave for 10-15 seconds until a liquid-like consistency.

Assemble your chicken and waffle and enjoy. Hack lyfe.

Photo by Max Bartick

#SpoonTip: If you can’t find a plate, use the top of the Blue Apron shipping box.

After you’ve finished cooking the meal, you can either recycle the packaging or reuse it.

And being the scrappy startup peeps we are, we found alternative uses for all of it.

Shipping Box

blue apron

Photo by Max Bartick

Necessary cutting board for tequila shot limes.

Spice Carton

Photo by Max Bartick

Detangle your headphones for good.

Cooler Bag

blue apron

Photo by Max Bartick

Host a party like a champ by keeping your dranks cool.