A Thanksgiving table is not complete without a perfect bottle of wine. A good glass of wine can be counted on, even if the turkey is dry or the mashed potatoes are chunky. We’re here to help you choose the perfect bottle to nestle in between the stuffing and the sweet potatoes.

Your family will thank you.

Avoid dry wines.

wine

Photo by Jess Lewy

Dry wines won’t stand a chance against all the savory flavors you are stuffing your face with. Stick with lighter, fruity wines which will provide a nice contrast to the herbs and spices in your feast. A touch a sweetness cuts through the heavy flavors perfectly.

Confused about the differences between sweet and dry wine? Check out this explanation.

Acidity is your friend.

wine

Photo by Emma Delaney

A wine with some acidity will cleanse your pallet after each flavorful bite. You’ll feel refreshed and ready to fill up your plate for the third (or fourth) time. In general, white wines and lighter red wines have the most acidity.

Don’t go for high alcohol content.

wine

Photo by Devon Carlson

You’re looking to have a good time with your family, not get schwasted and end up on all your cousins’ Snap Stories. Plus you’re gonna wanna remember the pie.

Don’t worry, here’s a handy guide to the alcohol content in wine.

Our suggestions:

If you don’t have a fave wine that meets all the criteria above, check out our suggestions.

Whites:

wine

Photo by Steven Baboun

Riesling — This is the perfect Thanksgiving wine. It’s fruity, but not too fruity and perfectly refreshing.

Gewürztraminer — This funky name means “spiced” in German, which makes it the perfect match for your autumnal table. It has a nice hint of sweetness to cut the spice.

Sauvignon Blanc — This is crisp and refreshing, with just enough acidity to take on those fatty flavors.

Reds:

wine

Photo by Mikaela Kearns

Pinot Noir — This is a classic Thanksgiving wine. It is subtly earthy and fruity and perfect to sip on with turkey.

Zinfandel  More intense than Pinot Noir, but silky smooth and a nice complement to your side dishes.

Syrah — This is a bold option, but its herby undertones pair well with stuffing or seasoned turkey.

Also, consider a classic Rosé for a light fruity option or even sparkling wine to serve with appetizers or dessert.

wine

Photo by Emma Delaney

Whichever wine you choose, make sure it’s from America. It is Thanksgiving after all.