I’m terrified of the barbecue.

I’m not sure where this fear stemmed from, but I’m betting it has something to do with the culinary stigma that the BBQ is male domain.

Recently I decided that enough is enough. I was going to fire up the Weber, conquer my fear of flames, and prove that girls anyone can grill. BBQ tongs in hand, I set out to prepare an entire meal on the grill.

Medium

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 16 minutes
Total Time: 31 minutes
Servings: 1

For the salmon:
1 salmon fillet (4 or 5-oz.)
1 lemon, halved
Salt and pepper

For the asparagus:
¼ pound asparagus, ends trimmed
½ tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

For the potatoes:
1 potato sliced into ¼ inch slices
½ tablespoon butter
¼ teaspoon seasoned salt or other seasoning blend

For the pineapple and coconut dessert:
2 rings pineapple, 1 inch thick
1 tablespoon maple syrup
¼ cup shredded coconut
2 scoops vanilla ice cream, optional

grill

Photo by Angela Pizzimenti

1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.

2. Prep your salmon by placing it on a piece of heavy duty foil and topping it with the juice of 1/2 a lemon and salt and pepper.

grill

Photo by Angela Pizzimenti

3. Pour the olive oil on the asparagus. Make sure it’s evenly coated. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

grill

Photo by Angela Pizzimenti

4. Lay overlapping potato slices on a piece of heavy duty foil that’s been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle with seasoned salt and pepper and dot with butter.

grill

Photo by Angela Pizzimenti

5. Fold the foil into a tight packet, making sure to seal the edges well.

grill

Photo by Angela Pizzimenti

6. When grill is heated, place salmon, asparagus and potato packet directly on the grate.

grill

Photo by Angela Pizzimenti

7. Close grill and cook for 5 minutes.

8. After 5 minutes, use tongs to turn the asparagus and rotate potato package, close grill and continue cooking for 3 minutes.

9. After 3 minutes, remove asparagus and set aside. Close grill and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Salmon is done when it is opaque and the skin easily separates from the fish.

grill

Photo by Angela Pizzimenti

10. Remove salmon from foil with a spatula (the skin will stick to the foil) and plate with asparagus, potatoes, and extra lemon wedges.

grill

Photo by Angela Pizzimenti

grill

Photo by Angela Pizzimenti

And if you still have room for dessert, try this grilled tropical treat:

1. For pineapple and coconut dessert, brush both sides of the pineapple ring with maple syrup and coat with coconut flakes. Press the flakes to ensure that they adhere to the pineapple.

grill

Photo by Angela Pizzimenti

pineapple breaded 2

2. Place pineapple rings on a piece of heavy duty foil and grill, covered, for 5 minutes until coconut is toasted. Serve with vanilla ice cream if desired.

grill

Photo by Angela Pizzimenti

Honestly, I can’t believe I went this long without giving the grill a chance. It was surprisingly simple, yet looks super impressive. And you can’t beat the smoky flavor that you can only get from a grill.

Plus, there’s just something about cooking with fire that makes you feel like a total badass.

If you’re still looking for recipes: