Breakfast can be tough when you’re running out the door, trying to make it to that 8:30AM class across campus. While dry cereal, granola bars and coffee are all options to help you get through that first hour, these college staples usually leave me starving thirty minutes later (when I dash to the nearest coffee shop for a bagel).

Enter the mason jar parfait. These homemade treats are delicious, filling and best of all: portable. Mason jars were probably one of the best investments I made in college. They cost less than a dollar per jar and can be used as glasses, food storage in your room or in lieu of Ziplock baggies for snacks to take to class.

And trust me, these parfaits are well worth the extra effort and so much better than the ones found at your local coffee shop (which usually feature a crushed Nature Valley bar as the “granola”). I usually make five each Sunday (sans granola, more on that later) to have throughout the week. When paired with some iced coffee, these yogurt parfaits are the ideal way to keep you awake during a boring, morning lecture.

yogurt parfait

Photo by Yonatan Soler

Medium

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes

Servings: 1

For Blackberry Chia Sauce:
1 pint blackberries* (or other any other berry)
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1/2 teaspoon sweetener (or to taste): agave nectar, honey, simple syrup etc.
Water (as needed)

For Parfait:
1 cup Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons granola
1-2 tablespoons blackberry chia sauce
Toppings: mixed berries, chopped fruit, chia seeds, hemp seeds, coconut etc.

*Note: blackberries, raspberries and blueberries tend to all work well and maintain fresh flavors without being cooked, strawberries, however, tend to take on a fermented taste and the sauce will spoil quickly

yogurt parfait

Photo by Yonatan Soler

Directions: 

For Blackberry Chia Sauce:

1. Add 1 pint blackberries to the blender, adding a teaspoon of water at a time as needed in order to achieve a smooth consistency.
  2. Add sweetener to taste. Usually ½ teaspoon will be sufficient, but it depends on the natural sweetness of the berries.
  3. Add 1 tablespoon of chia seeds and blend on low until just incorporated.
  4. Refrigerate for 4-6 hours or until the sauce has thickened into a loose jam.
  5. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 week*. This makes approximately 1 pint of sauce, which can be used to make about 5-6 parfaits.

*Note: save a berry from the batch you used to make the sauce in a container in the fridge. When the berry goes bad, toss the sauce.

yogurt parfait

Photo by Yonatan Soler

For Parfait:

1. Add ½ cup Greek yogurt to the bottom of a mason jar or container.
  2. Layer 1-2 tablespoons blackberry chia sauce depending on personal preference.
  3. Add a layer of fresh fruit*, followed by seeds/coconut/dried berries and granola.
  4. Chill until ready for use. This makes 1 single serving parfait. The parfait will last in the fridge for about a week (until the yogurt or sauce expires) without granola on top.

*Note: If you’re not going to eat the parfait the same day, I would suggest waiting to put the granola on until you’re about ready to eat, otherwise it will become soggy. If you want to refrigerate the fully assembled parfait, put a dry fruit (such as blueberries or blackberries) versus a fruit that creates a lot of moisture (peaches, chopped strawberries) right below the granola to keep it fresh and crunchy.

yogurt parfait

Photo by Yonatan Soler