It’s been a long time since I’ve eaten actual fig newtons. While they were enjoyed without restriction as a kid, ingredients like partially hydrogenated cotton seed oil and sulfites don’t settle well with my current dietary beliefs. These fig newtons are gluten-free, vegan, and don’t use any refined sugar.

This recipe is a little time consuming but totally worth it. Fresh figs can be found in grocery stores and farmer’s markets in the summer months, making this an optimal seasonal treat. If you’re using dried figs, be sure to soak them in hot water beforehand to soften before blending the filling.

If you have a dehydrator and want to make these a raw treat, this dough is perfect for it. However, you’ll have to trust your gut in regard to time needed as every dehydrator is a bit different.

Fig Newtons

• Prep Time:30 minutes
  • Cook Time:40 minutes
  • Total Time:1 hour and 10 minutes
  • Servings:14 - 16

• 6 figs
  • 6 Medjool dates
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon (divided)
  • 1 teaspoon orange zest
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 3/4 cup almond flour
  • 2 cup gluten-free oat flour
  • 1/4 cup ground psyllium husk
  • 1 1/4 cup water
  • 1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
  • 1/2 cup coconut nectar
Photo by Kristine Mahan

Combine ground psyllium husk and water in a small bowl, let it gelatinize while measuring out dry ingredients. Use 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon in the mix of dry ingredients.

Photo by Kristine Mahan

Add psyllium gel to dry ingredients along with the coconut oil and nectar.

Photo by Kristine Mahan

Stir until it becomes too thick to handle with a spoon or spatula. At this point, switch to kneading until everything is combined and a dough forms. Refrigerate dough while preparing filling.

Photo by Kristine Mahan

Cut figs, pit the Medjool dates, and zest the orange peel.

Photo by Kristine Mahan

Blend together Medjool dates, figs, orange zest, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, and vanilla extract.

Photo by Kristine Mahan

Preheat oven to 300°F.

Halve the dough and roll out into a 1/3″ thick rectangle between two sheets of wax paper.

Photo by Kristine Mahan

Spread half the filling on the lower portion of the raw dough.

Photo by Kristine Mahan

Fold upper portion of dough over the lower.

Photo by Kristine Mahan

Repeat with second half of the dough. Crimp the edges with a fork.

Photo by Kristine Mahan

Bake for 40 minutes on a lined baking sheet.

Photo by Kristine Mahan

Let cool, then proceed by cutting logs in 2″ increments. Best enjoyed while fresh, but shelf life can be extended in the fridge or freezer.

Photo by Kristine Mahan