Reliving Your Childhood in 2017

If you were born in the 90s, there is a pretty good chance that you ate Lunchables pizza, and there is a pretty good chance that you thought it was the most delicious camp lunch you could ask for. As you grew older, you probably realized that Lunchables are a little sketchy. Who knows where the ingredients come from? I, like most 90s kids, have by now stopped eating Lunchables pizza, but that doesn’t mean I don’t still dream about them. A lot has changed in the way I eat since my days as an eight year old eating packaged lunches. For starters, I’ve developed allergies to both gluten and dairy, so even if I wanted to relive my childhood with a bite of a Lunchables, I couldn’t. Until recently. There are amazing brands creating delicious healthy alternative products, and by throwing some of my favorites together, I recreated the Lunchables pizza experience, only this time as a gluten free dairy free pizza. This wasn’t my intention, but upon first bite of my pizza creation I was transported back, peeling open a Lunchables container to get to my delicious, bite-sized lunch.

Gluten free, dairy free Lunchables Pizza

• 1 Mikey's pizza crust
  • 1 package Kite Hill Soft Fresh Original non-dairy cheese
  • 1 jar Yellow Barn biodynamic tomato sauce
  • Any toppings you like!
bread, cheese
Ariana Pergola

Preheat your oven to 400 F. Remove your Mikey’s gluten-free pizza crust from the packaging, add on the sauce and cheese to your liking and top with any desired ingredients. Pop your pizza into the oven for 15 minutes and it’s ready (if you want the truest Lunchables experience allow to cool and place in the refrigerator.)

sandwich, bread
    Ariana Pergola

This pizza is so delicious and easy that I decided to make a second version, this time more grown-up. It's just as easy but has a fancy touch to make you feel gourmet. 

The Grown-Up Lunchables Pizza

• 1 Mikey’s pizza crust
  • 1 package Kite Hill dairy-free Ricotta
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Sun dried tomatoes
  • Pine nuts
cheese, vegetable, cherry, tomato
Ariana Pergola

Preheat your oven to 400 F. Remove your Mikey’s gluten-free pizza crust from the packaging, add on the tomatoes and cheese to your liking and sprinkle with pine nuts. Pop your pizza into the oven for 15 minutes and it’s ready.

sweet, bread, coffee
    Ariana Pergola

The Ingredients

What I love about these guilty-tasting pizzas is that the ingredients are so clean and taste amazing. Here is a breakdown of why I use them:

Mikey’s pizza crust uses eggs, almond and coconut flour, and seasonings to make their fluffy crusts (which gives these pizzas their Lunchables-like quality.) They even make muffin tops (the best part of a muffin), english muffins and bread slices from the same ingredients. Most gluten-free bread products are loaded with stabilizers and other unappealing ingredients, but Mikey’s ingredients are just real foods.

Kite Hill makes non-dairy dairy products like yogurt and cheese from just almonds, salt, enzymes and cultures! They did a ton of research into finding the best kind of almond and method to make their cheese really taste high-quality. A Lunchables pizza might not be the most gourmet way to consume their artisanal product, but it is my favorite dairy-free cheese on the market (after making this pizza, check out their chive cream cheese and prepare to have your mind blown.)

Yellow Barn tomato sauce is different from every other sauce on the market. How? It is biodynamic. The word “biodynamic” refers to a form of agriculture commonly explained as “beyond organic.” Basically, not only do the farmers not use pesticides on their produce, but they consider the farm a closed-loop system in which the farm provides everything it needs to thrive. If bugs appear, adjustments are made to the soil by planting different crops, not buy purchasing pesticides and spraying the plants. Biodynamic agriculture is not only sustainable but regenerative to the earth, and provides more flavorful and nutritious produce. Obviously, using Yellow Barn tomato sauce elevates your pizza 10x more. 

As you can see, not only is this the tastiest gluten free dairy free pizza you have dreamed about, but it is made with high-quality ingredients that you can feel especially good about putting into your body.