As a Food Studies major and an aspiring chef, there isn't a single aspect about the kitchen that scares me.  I face every challenge with excitement; I'm rarely intimidated...that is, except for the grill. Charcoal, gas, it doesn't matter - the grill is one kitchen obstacle I refused to face for the longest time.

However, I decided that this summer, it was all going to change.  So opens the first installment of "Girl on the Grill."  After developing and borrowing a couple of recipes, I whipped up a dinner for my family made almost entirely on the grill.

Was this an ambitious challenge I set out on? Yes. But I love a challenge. On the menu for this evening: homemade burgers and buns with a mushroom and caramelized onion jam, grilled corn salad, and grilled summer squash with a Meyer Lemon honey vinaigrette, and for dessert, grilled peaches and strawberries with a homemade Meyer Lemon honey whipped cream. 

I tweaked each recipe to make them my own, but the originals came from King Arthur Flour or Saveur Magazine.

The Best Burger Buns

• Prep Time:2 hrs 25 mins
  • Total Time:2 hrs 40 mins

• 3/4 to 1 cup lukewarm water
  • 2 tbsp room temp butter
  • 1 large egg
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp instant yeast
pastry, sweet, dairy product, vegetable, bread
Alexandra Tringali

Knead all of the ingredients together in a large bowl until it forms a soft dough.

bread, milk, flour, cream, dough
    Alexandra Tringali

Cover the dough and let rise (preferably in a warming drawer, or in a room-temp area,) for an 1 to 2 hours, until doubled in size.

Gently punch down dough and divide it into 8 round balls. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and cover to rise for another hour.

Bake the buns at 375º F for 15 to 18 minutes, and cool until ready to use.

Classic Diner Burgers

• 1 lb 95% lean ground beef
  • 1 lb 85% lean ground beef
  • Heavy hand salt and pepper
Alexandra Tringali

Combine the ingredients in a bowl until well distributed.

Form patties to size and thickness of your liking. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and put in the refrigerator for an hour.

Put patties on the grill and let cook on one side for 3 to 5 minutes, depending on the thickness. Flip once and let cook for a minute less than the time for the first side. Place cheese on top halfway through the second side (I used gruyere.)

Mushroom Onion Jam

• 1 1/2 tbsp butter
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • Salt & pepper
  • 1 small red onion sliced
  • 1 small white onion sliced
  • 4 portabella mushrooms sliced thin
  • 1 shallot minced
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 2 cups red wine
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1 tbsp heavy cream
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
chocolate, tea
Alexandra Tringali

In a large sauté pan, allow the olive oil to heat slightly.

Add onions, salt, and pepper, and cook until the onions become soft and light brown.

Add the mushrooms, some more salt, thyme, oregano, and one tbsp butter, and salt to the onions, and stir until they become soft and dark brown. You can use baby bella mushrooms (pictured here) if you'd rather.

Using a slotted spoon, put mushrooms and onions to a bowl and set aside, leaving as much liquid in the pan as possible.

Add shallots and let cook until soft, and then add the wine. Bring the pan to high heat and bring to a boil. Lower slightly, and while stirring frequently, and allow wine to reduce until about 1/2 cup.

Add vinegar, heavy cream, sugar, and 1/2 tbsp of butter, and continue to cook down until a thick sauce forms, that coats the back of a spoon. Stir mushrooms and onions back in, and serve either immediately or at room temperature.

Grilled Corn Salad

• 5 ears fresh corn
  • 1 bell pepper diced into small cubes
  • 1 jalapeño pepper diced into small cubes
  • Fresh cilantro chopped
  • Juice from half a lime
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • Salt and pepper
meat, corn salad, succotash, cereal, pea, legume, vegetable, corn
Alexandra Tringali

Dice both peppers and chop cilantro. Reserve.

Grill the corn, rotating every so often, so grill marks begin to form, about 10 minutes. Remove from grill and using a sharp knife, gently cut the kernels away from the cob. Place in the bowl with the peppers.

hazelnut, popcorn, sweet corn, meat, corn
    Alexandra Tringali

Add the lime juice and spices to the corn, with a generous amount of salt and pepper. Toss to combine.

Grilled Summer Squash with a Honey Lemon Vinaigrette

• 4 yellow and green squash
  • 4 tbsp cup olive oil
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
  • 3 tbsp Meyer Lemon honey
  • Fresh juice from half a lemon
  • 2 large shallots
  • Salt & pepper
dairy product, cheese, meat, vegetable
Alexandra Tringali

Chop squash into 2-by-1 inch pieces and place in a bowl with whole shallots.

Heat oil and pepper flakes in a small saucepan on the stove to allow the flavors to marry. After it becomes aromatic, turn off the heat and add the honey, lemon, vinegar, and salt and pepper. Mix well.

Pour the vinaigrette over the squash and shallots and let marinate for 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes, place all of the vegetables on the grill and reserve the remaining liquid in the bowl.

Let shallots grill for about 5 minutes, until grill marks just begin to form. Slice into large slices and place in the marinade bowl.

Grill squash for a total of 10 to 15 minutes, to allow for them to get dark grill marks and become slightly soft on the outside. Remove from grill and place back in bowl with the shallots. Toss to combine and serve.

cheese
    Alexandra Tringali

Grilled Peaches & Strawberries with a Honey Whipped Cream

• 3 halved peaches with pits removed
  • 10 strawberries cored
  • 2 cups heavy whipping cream
  • 3 tbsp Meyer Lemon honey
  • Mint leaves
cheese, dairy product, cream
Alexandra Tringali

Whip heavy cream with a hand mixer until it begins to thicken. Add honey and continue to beat until soft peaks form. Set aside.

Place peaches and strawberries on the grill, flipping and rotating until fragrant, slightly soft, and the juices begin to release. Remove and plate. Top with whipped cream. Garnish with torn mint leaves.