These gingersnaps are the perfect balance of sweet and seasonally spicy — a quintessential combination for the holidays. My recipe has been passed down through the family, being modified to perfection along the way.

I like my gingersnap cookies a decent thickness, soft in the middle, a little bit cracked when baked (that beautiful pattern outlined in sugar crystals after they bake), and with bold flavor that is as welcoming as the holidays. You get exactly that with this unreal gingersnap family recipe. Enjoy.

Melt In Your Mouth Gingersnap Cookies

• 1 cup unsalted butter cold
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup molasses
  • 4 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 2 teaspoons ground cloves
  • 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
cookie, molasses, peanut, butter, peanut butter, chocolate

Start by using a fork to mash up the butter. Add in both the dark and light sugars and beat until light and fluffy. Incorporate one egg at a time. Next, mix in the molasses until everything is completely mixed. You should shoot for the pale, sand like mixture before adding in the eggs (pictured below).

egg yolk, cereal, bread, wheat, flour, egg
    Sierra Avery

In a separate bowl (or sifting directly on top of the wet ingredients) mix together the flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. Mix together the wet and dry ingredients until they are completely combined.

#SpoonTip: I have found this to be a good amount of spice for my preference, but feel free to add as much or as little spice as you like. All of the spices create a tantalizing aroma.

coffee, dough, cream, candy, bread, pastry, chocolate, cake, flour, sweet
    Sierra Avery

Form dough into 1 1/2 inch balls then roll them in sugar. Place them 2 inches apart on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper and pop them in the freezer for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°F.

#SpoonTip: Use a margarita glass to roll the dough balls in sugar.

cream, ice cream, chocolate, ice
    Sierra Avery

Take the baking sheet from the freezer and then bake cookies for 12-14 minutes, just until the edges and middle are set. You definitely don't want to over bake these cookies. Cool on a wire rack.

#SpoonTip: I was out of parchment paper when I was making this batch, but a light layer of sugar works like a charm.

flour, cookie, sweet, pastry, dough
    Sierra Avery

Try not to eat all of these deliciously chewy cookies in one day — I know it will be tough.

peanut butter, cookie, sandwich, chocolate
    Sierra Avery