Growing up, every summer, as I was awkwardly making my way through elementary and middle school, I went to sleep-away camp. I looked forward to it all year. My parents did, too because it was a chance to get rid of me for a week. Everyone wins.
Camp food has a bad rep—and rightly so—but luckily there was one dinner everyone enjoyed and I now still make it multiple times every summer. This foil pack recipe allows you to customize your meal however you want. The idea of foil pack meals is that you wrap up whatever you want – veggies, rice, meat – into a piece of tin foil and pop it on the grill to cook. That’s it. Seriously, easiest grilled dinner ever. So, we used to cook this over a campfire (‘cuz, you know, camp) but a grill works just as well.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Protein source (meat, fish, tofu, beans, etc.)
Vegetables (tomatoes, broccoli, green beans, etc.)
Carbohydrate source (cooked pasta, rice, quinoa or other grain)
Herbs, spices or sauces
*I told you – literally use whatever you want, so any combination of ingredients will work!
1. If you’re adding in protein, make sure it is thawed and if desired, marinated.
2. Cook carbohydrate source of your choosing according to package instructions.
3. Chop up any protein and vegetables into pieces no bigger than one inch.
4. Cut a 12″ x 18″ piece of tin foil and lightly cover with cooking spray.
6. Put all ingredients into til foil, add any herbs/spices/sauces on top and wrap foil tightly to make a packet.
7. Cook packet on grill over medium heat for about 6 minutes, then flip and cook for another 10-15 minutes until meat is cooked through. Open the packet to reveal your dinner!