What’s better than biting into a sweet, juicy, cold slice of watermelon on a hot summer day? How about sipping a sweet, juicy, frozen watermelon margarita? Best of all, you can barely even taste the alcohol in it (but trust me, it’s in there)!

When it comes to drinks, I always say the sweeter the better. Freezing the watermelon not only extracts the natural sweetness of the fruit, but also gives the drink a perfect slushie-like texture that reminds me of the 7/11 slurpees we used to drink as kids (except yummier and filled with tequila).

My mom’s cousin found this amazing and super simple watermelon margarita recipe in a People magazine, and instantly cut it out and saved it to make on the Fourth of July. The margarita was a huge hit, and all my relatives kept demanding refills until we eventually ran out of watermelon.

I found that although the recipe gives exact measurements for the ingredients, it works best to just eyeball the quantities and then taste test the margarita before serving it to see if it needs more lime juice, sugar, tequila, etc. It’s really all about experimenting with different ratios of ingredients in order to get the perfect tasting margarita.

Frozen Watermelon Margarita

• Prep Time:24 hours
  • Cook Time:5 minutes
  • Total Time:24 hours 5 minutes
  • Servings:6-8 drinks

• 2 1/2 cup frozen seedless watermelon
  • 6 tablespoon lime juice
  • 1/2 cup tequila
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • ice (optional)
  • extra lime or watermelon pieces for garnish (optional)
Photo by Sammy Mintzer

Cut the watermelon into cubed pieces (you don’t need to use the full watermelon unless you plan on making more than 6-8 drinks or just want extra watermelon).

Photo by Sammy Mintzer

Store the watermelon in the freezer overnight.

Combine the watermelon, lime juice, tequila, and sugar in a blender (with ice if needed).

Photo by Sammy Mintzer

Blend the items until your desired texture is reached (I use a spoon to taste-test the texture and flavor before serving).

Photo by Sammy Mintzer

(Optional) Rim your glass with sugar and lime for garnish; I line the rim of the glass with the juice from the lime to make the sugar stick and then place a slice of the lime on the edge of the glass.

Photo by Sammy Mintzer

Pour into glasses and serve!