Figs are definitely an underrated fruit here in the United States. There are so many things you can do with them, like make jam, dry them for a sweet snack, or add them to a sandwich (they go great with Brie). Figs are native to the Middle East, with Turkey, Egypt, and Algeria as the top producers. These macarons pair fig jam with chocolate ganache for a fancy treat that'll have you reaching for more.

This fig macaron recipe utilizes the Italian method for making meringue, so you can use sugar with slightly larger granules like I did and still have a perfectly smooth and shiny final result, because the sugar is added as a syrup. Here's how to make them.

Fig Macarons

• Prep Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:1 hr 12 mins
  • Hard

• 300g blanched slivered almonds or almond flour
  • 300g powdered sugar
  • 300g granulated sugar
  • 75g water
  • 220g aged egg whites divided
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • Fig jam
  • Gold shimmer dust
cookie, cream, chocolate
Jennifer Nigro

If you’re using blanched slivered almonds, add them to a food processor with some of the powdered sugar and grind into a flour. Sift it as you go and keep grinding until you only have about a tablespoon left. If you’re starting with almond flour, there’s not need to grind it further. Add the almond flour and powdered sugar to a food processor and process until they’re combined. Alternatively, you can sift them together into a large bowl at least three times.

In a large bowl, add the first portion of aged egg whites and mix it together until it forms a dough-like paste. Cover with plastic wrap so it doesn’t dry out and set it aside.

#SpoonTip: To age the egg whites, measure out the eggs in a container that’s wiped down with lemon juice or vinegar, cover with plastic wrap, poke holes in the top, and keep them in the fridge for at least a day (the longer the better). When it comes time to use them, make sure they return to room temperature before using them. Using aged egg whites will give you a smoother meringue and a smoother final product.

Add the granulated sugar and water to a small saucepan and use a candy thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature. Bring it to a boil on medium heat and stir to mix everything together. Every once in a while, wipe down the sides with a wet pastry brush to avoid crystallization on the sides of the saucepan. When the syrup reaches 115°C, add the second portion of egg whites to a stand mixer and whisk on medium/high speed.

When the syrup reaches 118°C, pour it very slowly into the egg whites. When the egg whites reach stiff peaks, stop whisking.

Add about a third of the meringue into the almond flour and sugar dough and mix with a spatula until well combined. Keep mixing in the meringue a third at a time. With the last third, fold around the mixture and through the middle. Fold until the batter falls off the spatula in ribbons and disappears back into the batter, in about 10 seconds.

Add the batter to a piping bag fitted with a large round tip. Don’t add too much to the piping bag at one time.

Add dots of batter to the corners of a baking tray and line with parchment paper. Pipe the batter in rounds about an inch and a half in diameter. Space them around a half an inch apart. Tap the tray a few times on the counter to knock out any air bubbles.

Let them sit for at least 30 minutes until a skin forms and they don’t feel sticky. Preheat the oven to 180°C or 355°F.

Bake for 12 minutes and let them cool completely before touching them.

To make the ganache, heat the heavy cream until almost boiling and pour over the chocolate chips. Wait a few minutes, then stir until smooth. Chill for 30 minutes or until it’s thickened enough to stay on the macaron. When it’s cool, add to a piping bag. Add the fig jam to a piping bag, making sure there aren’t any big pieces of fig.

Pipe the ganache and the fig jam on the macarons and sandwich them. Top with gold shimmer dust (optional) or drizzle melted chocolate on top. The macarons will keep in the fridge for a week or so in an airtight container. Enjoy!