Every time I step out of my house at 8 a.m., I always look like a Weather Channel storm chaser who’s just seen the eye of the hurricane. I never have time for breakfast. But with these little muffins, I can grab one to go and still get my coffee buzz on.

Warning: tread lightly when sharing with friends. Everyone loves chocolate in the morning and when sharing a freshly made batch, people may begin to fight Hunger Games-style to get the chance to eat the last muffin. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!

Medium

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Servings: 1 ½ Servings

1 ½ cup all-purpose flour plus 1 tablespoon
1 ½ cup cake flour
1 tablespoons baking powder
½ teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons espresso powder
10 tablespoons light butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 ½ cup low-fat plain yogurt
1 ½ cup dark chocolate chips

1. Line muffin pan with muffin liners and preheat the oven to 375°F.

2. Combine both flours in a large bowl. Whisk in baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder. Set the bowl aside.

3. In a large mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

4. Add in the eggs one at a time until each are incorporated. Then, add in the yogurt and mix.

Photo by Katherine Bernhardt

5. In three additions, add in the flour mixture until well combined.

6. Lightly coat chocolate chips in 1 tablespoon of flour, then add to the mixture and fold in using a spatula.

Photo by Katherine Bernhardt

7. Using a small ice cream scoop, spoon the batter into the muffin liners.

Photo by Katherine Bernhardt

8. Bake for 25–30 minutes until muffins are golden brown.

Photo by Katherine Bernhardt