Bread is basically our best frenemy. We love it, we hate it, and that's the way it goes. If you ever tried to stop eating bread, you know how hard it is—initially—to find non-disappointing alternatives.

Well I found a cool one: eggplant! That weird shaped violet thing actually tastes pretty good, and you can spice it up all you want.

Here you have a suggested recipe, but you can prepare eggplant buns however you like. Add cheese, other veggies, bbq sauce—be as creative as you wish. You can also prepare an additional side dish so you don't end up throwing away leftover eggplant.

Eggplant Buns

• For burgers:
  • 1 eggplant
  • 2 burgers meat or veggie
  • 1 tomato
  • 1 avocado
  • 1/3 cup spinach
  • Hummus
  • Olive or coconut oil
  • Sea salt/spices
  • Side Dish:
  • 1 big carrot
  • 5 small mushrooms
  • 1 onion
  • 1 tomato

Cut the eggplant into 4 round, thick slices (3/4-1 inches thick).

Marina Wollmann

Dry the slices off with a napkin.

Marina Wollmann

Chop the rest of the eggplant together with the carrot, tomato, mushrooms and onion

salad, vegetable
    Marina Wollmann

Add some olive oil to a pan and mix the veggies. First the carrot, then the onion...Wait 5 minutes and add the rest.

salad
    Marina Wollmann

Spice it up with your favorite seasoning.

Put the burger in the oven (if it's meat it will take 15 minutes, if it's a veggie burger, 5-8 minutes).

Grill the eggplant: 2 minutes per side. Or if you chose to bake it: 3-4 minutes in total. Don't overcook because you want to avoid mushy buns at all costs.

bread, vegetable, cheese
    Marina Wollmann

Add avocado, tomato, hummus, spinach and enjoy!

eggplant, cheese, tomato, aubergine
    Marina Wollmann

Practice makes the master: it make take you a few times to get it right, but the good thing is that it is also a knife and fork friendly dish!

TEXT IMAGE RECIPE EMBED