Save yourself an expensive stop at the Chobani Cafe and make some homemade yogurt instead. This recipe is great to use as a base for popsicles, a baking substitute, or simply to enjoy with your favorite toppings. You can also store yogurt for up to three months in the freezer. Yogurt is a great source of protein, calcium, and iodine and makes a perfect post-workout snack. This recipe has no added sugar, so it is healthier than most popular brands of yogurt. It also will boost your immune system because it contains natural probiotics.

I enjoy customizing my yogurt so I make a tangy thinner yogurt for dips, snacks, or to freeze for frozen yogurt. I also make a thicker, creamier yogurt for desserts. You can modify the taste, consistency, and richness. In addition, you can save some yogurt for a starter for another batch. Use this simple recipe and enjoy the freshest yogurt you've ever tasted.

Homemade Yogurt

• Cook Time:4 hrs
  • Total Time:4 hrs 30 mins

• 1/2 gallon milk
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt with live active cultures
  • Candy or meat thermometer
berry, sweet, strawberry, jam, cream, raspberry, gelatin, pudding
Meredith Pong

Heat milk on medium to high heat until it reaches 200° F.

coffee, tea, milk, espresso
    Meredith Pong

Remove the milk from the stove and let it cool to 115° F.

Mix 1/2 cup of plain yogurt with 1 cup of warm milk.

milk, cream, dairy product, sweet, dairy, batter, ice, dough, flour, yogurt
    Meredith Pong

Combine this mixture the the cooled milk.

milk, dairy product, cream
    Meredith Pong

Let the yogurt rest for at least four hours (or overnight) in the oven, an insulated container, or wrapped in a dish towel. This will allow the cultures to multiply.

Chill and serve.

sweet, berry, cream, strawberry, jam, pudding, pastry, raspberry, cake, gelatin, custard
    Meredith Pong

#SpoonTip The higher the fat content of the milk, the creamier the yogurt will be.

#SpoonTip If you would like Greek style yogurt, you can strain the yogurt with a cheese cloth to achieve a thicker yogurt. 

#SpoonTip The longer you let the yogurt rest, the more sour and tangy it will become. It will also thicken.