One night while eating dinner, I had an intense craving for coffee ice cream when the coffee station and the soft serve machines caught my eye. I wondered if mixing coffee and ice cream in a mug was worth a try, so I turned to Google and found out that the combination is actually a popular Italian dessert made of ice cream and espresso called an affogato.

A good affogato can be pretty pricey, but with this recipe, you can enjoy this classy combo at no cost and in the convenience of your dining hall! I made mine with vanilla ice cream, but don't be afraid to try chocolate or coffee ice cream if you want something even richer. Buon Appetito!

Dining Hall Affogato

• Prep Time:0
  • Cook Time:1 min
  • Total Time:1 min

• 1 cup soft serve vanilla or chocolate ice cream
  • 1/4 cup strong coffee or espresso
milk, cream, coffee, pudding, yogurt, dairy product, cappuccino, white sauce, espresso, sweet

Grab a mug from the dining hall or BYOM (Bring Your Own Mug) to fill with coffee-y, ice cream-y goodness. It can be as big or as small as you'd like.

#SpoonTip: If you can, put your mug in the freezer for a little bit beforehand. This way, the ice cream won't immediately start to melt when you pour the hot coffee over it.

coffee, milk, cappuccino, espresso, tea

Deposit your choice of chocolate or vanilla ice cream soft serve (or any other variation of flavor) up to about the half way mark. Personally, I prefer vanilla, but you really can't go wrong in this case.

milk, cream, yogurt, coffee, dairy product, dairy, sweet

Fill up the rest of your mug with some strong coffee, grab a spoon, and enjoy!

milk, cream, coffee, yogurt, pudding, dairy product, cappuccino, white sauce, espresso