As the new year begins, so do the resolutions to jump on the healthy-eating train. But as classes start and the reality of cold weather (without the holiday festiveness) sets in, sometimes you just have to treat yo' self.

I give to you these extra-rich hot chocolate cookies that taste just like a warm cup of cocoa. These cookies are  pretty simple and fun to make (you mix them with your hands!). But perhaps the best part is that they're vegan, which means the dough won't make you sick if you really can't wait to dig in.

Vegan Hot Chocolate Cookies

• 1 1/8 cups flour
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup coconut sugar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 tablespoon almond milk
  • 3/4 tablespoon chocolate almond milk
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/4 cup water as needed
hot chocolate, espresso, milk, cream, coffee, chocolate
Danielle Biskner

Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium sized bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt, and set aside.

chocolate
    Danielle Biskner

In a separate bowl, combine melted coconut oil, vegetable oil, and sugars. Mix until creamy (usually takes about 3 minutes). Then add in milk and vanilla.

pudding, sweet, dairy product, cream, milk
    Danielle Biskner

Combine wet and dry ingredients slowly, making sure to mix well as you go. You may need to add up to 1/4 cup water to ensure dough doesn't get too dry. Then fold in shredded coconut and chocolate chips. It works best to mix these last 2 ingredients with your (clean) hands.

fudge, cake, cream, chocolate cake, brownie, chocolate
    Danielle Biskner

Scoop balls of dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil. (larger cookies may need a few extra minutes to bake)

peanut butter, peanut, butter, chocolate
    Danielle Biskner

Bake cookies for about 10 minutes. Let cookies cool for a few minutes before eating.

chocolate cookie, chocolate
    Danielle Biskner

So, whether you have papers to write and exams to study for, or there's no way you're stepping outside when it's below 40, be kind to yourself, grab your favorite coffee, and whip up a batch of these hot chocolate cookies.